How to Help Nerve Damage After Mid Facelift?

I had a mid face lift about 5 years ago and unfortunately was left with muscle/nerve damage near my nose which affects my nostrils. What might improve my problem - excessive nasal movement when I speak, collapsed nostrils when static, and excessive flare when I smile? Is this common?

Nerve damage after mid facelift

+1

It is not common to have nerve damage after a mid facelift. It sounds like you may have synkinesis, which is related to previous nerve muscle damage. The collapsed nostrils can be addressed through spreader grafts inside the nose. Excessive flare and movement on the nose can be addressed through Botox injections. This is not a common problem. 

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com

Nerve Damage after Cheek Lift

+1

I'm sure you are aware,as others have stated, your problem is secondary to a rare nerve injury. I recommend getting a consultation with a Plastic Surgeon or a Head & Neck Surgeon experienced in reconstructive surgery after facial nerve injuries such as Bell's Palsy. Best of luck!

A personal examination is needed to assess this issue

+1

The answer to your second question is no this is not a common problem. It might well be a unique problem. Keep that in mind in case you consult with someone and they tell you that they treat this sort of problem "all the time." You did not indicate if you also had a rhinoplasty in the past which might also contribute to nasal valve collapse. You need to seek out someone with the judgement and experience to assess you and understand what is going on. I agree with others that BOTOX may have a role in helping you.

Web reference: http://www.lidlift.com

Nerve damage after a cheek lift.

+1

I agree with Dr. Mayl that botox is worth a try. I know of no other treatment that would help. The basic problem is the misdirection of the healed nerve.

Problems after Mid-Facelift

+1

Having done significant mid-facelifts and read much of the literature on the subject, I can tell you that what you have is exceptionally rare. I can not even figure out, from your description, what has happened. The usual problem is nonfunction of a nerve, not hyperfunction, as it sounds is the case with you. I would suggest seeing a Plastic Surgeon with experience in facial reconstruction and nerve problems.

Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Perhaps Botox will help

+1

The problems you are having are due to "cross wiring" of the nerves as they recovered from the original injury. 

I have seen in consultation similar problems in various facial areas. It would be worth trying Botox to block the muscle that creates excessive nostril movement and flare.  The collapsed nostril when static would not be helped.  Fortunately and unfortunately the results are not permanent.  However if it works it can be repeated and if it does not work or you do not like the effect, it will eventually return to where you are now.

You should see a plastic surgeon experienced in nerve repairs and the use of Botox.

Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.