Nerve Damage After Chin Implant- Should It Be Removed?

I had a chin implant and rhinoplasty 2 weeks ago. Since the surgery I've been feeling numbness in my left hand pinky and ring fingers almost constantly, with differing degrees of intensity, the numbness being especially bad at night time. The symptoms seem to indicate ulnar nerve damage. Could this be a result of the surgery? Or, alternatively, if the mental nerve was damaged, would I be feeling numbness in my left hand? Should I ask for the implant to be removed as soon as possible?

Nerve damage after chin implant

+2

Your problem is related to arm position during the surgery. Your implant has nothing to do with it. You need to contact the anesthesia staff of the surgicenter for advice and followup.

West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ulnar nerve symptoms after a chin implant

+2

Hi Aleksk.  Your chin implant and  rhinoplasty have nothing to do with the symptoms experienced in your left hand.  The tingling experienced in your hand is probably secondary to pressure  on the ulnar nerve while you were under anesthesia.  These symptoms usually resolve in a few weeks.  Discuss the problem with your surgeon. Maybe some anti inflammatories will help.  Good luck!

Joseph N. Togba, MD
Oakland Plastic Surgeon

Nerve damage after chin implant

+2

The numbness you describe sounds like an ulnar nerve problem which may be related to positioning during your surgery with pressure at the elbow. This is a 'common' risk during general anesthesia which requires careful padding and positioning during a procedure. You do not need to have your chin implant removed as there is no relationship to the chin or mental nerve.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

+2

IMHO, these symptoms may indicate a nerve issue from arm positioning or IV placement during the anesthetic and are not related to the Chin Implant or Rhinoplasty however, you should speak with your plastic and cosmetic surgeon and het a referral to a neurologist if he feels that's required.

Nerve damage after chin implant

+2

Aleksk, I would not remove the chin implant if there was no evidence of infection or nerve damage.  The two are not related.  The numbness in the hand may be related to positioning during surgery or pressure.  You should discuss this with your doctor who may refer you for some nerve conduction studies or a neurologic evaluation.  In all liklihood it will improve over time but I think evaluation is appropriate.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Nerve damage

+2

I don't think a chin implant would cause nerve damage and numbness in your arm. This much more likely to be inadvertent pressure on the arm while asleep for the surgery. See you doctor

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Nerve damage and removal of a chin implant - Los Angeles

+1

The facial nerves should not cause ulnar nerve injury. I would discuss your concerns with your surgeon immediately and advise you to not undergo chin implant removal at this time. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Removal of Chin Implant - No benefit for unrelated symptoms

+1

No the rhinoplasty and chin augmentation have nothing to do with the ulnar nerve. The position of the arm or lack of padding or more likely a reason unrelated to the procedure is the reason. Removing the implant will have no benefit to your arm problem

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Nerve Damage with Chin Implant

+1

Mental nerve injury, which is a rare complication with chin implant placement, may cause a change in sensation on the side of your chin and lower lip but not your fingers. There is no reason to remove the chin implant. This may be an ulnar nerve injury as you suggest, secondary to the position of your arm during surgery. Your surgeon may recommend you see a neurologist for evaluation.

Chin implant and nerve damage

+1

The chin implant and your hand symptoms are most certainly unrelated. Positioning of the arm or IV placement can cause the hand symptoms that you are experiencing. I anticipate that this would gradually resolve. I would follow up with your surgeon to ensure that you are doing everything possible to facilitate improvement.

Regarding your chin implant, the mental nerve has no connection to the arm or hand. You may experience numbness in the chin and lips region from natural inflammation around the mental nerve that occurs during surgery and that usually resolves given time. Removing the implant would have no impact on your hand symptoms.

Todd C. Miller, MD