Is NeoGraft the Best Hair Transplant Method?

I Keep Seeing NeoGraft on the News. Is This Best Way to Do Hair Transplatation Now?

Experience of Your Surgeon is *Much* More Important Than Any Method or Machine Used.

+6
NeoGraft was introduced about 5 years ago, and is simply a machine that a physician (or, more likely, a technician) uses to perform the follicular unit extraction (FUE) procedure.  It is more or less a motorized, hand-held circular punch, attached to suction.  I attended a physician's office in Florida in 2009 for a demonstration of the NeoGraft device.  I've been performing FUE procedures since 2003, and I was very interested to see this device.  While at this meeting, hosted by the NeoGraft corporation, it was interesting to note that I was the only dedicated hair restoration surgeon in attendance.  The others there to see and perhaps purchase the machine were spa owners, obstetricians, several family practice doctors, and a few business managers for doctors who dabbled in cosmetic surgery in general.  I was pretty surprised.  The graft placement feature of the NeoGraft device with positive pressure is a gimmick, as I asked the head trainer for the NeoGraft corporation to place a graft using this.  We were observing an live procedure, and we watched as he tried several times, but was not able to place a single graft with the machine.  

NeoGraft has done a tremendous amount of marketing, and I see physicians who have never done a hair transplant around the country acquire this machine, piggyback on the marketing done by NeoGraft, and start to offer this complicated, and permanent procedure to the public.  In much of the country, the doctor will simply hire a technician (the going rate for a NeoGraft tech in Atlanta is $70/hour) to perform the procedure.  It should be noted at this point that hair restoration technicians have the same exact medical training requirements as grass cutters: absolutely none.  The physician only need sign the papers and be on the premises.  No joke.  So, whether using the NeoGraft, or the much more advanced ARTAS robotic hair restoration system, or any other device, including a 50 cent 1mm biopsy punch, it is the experience and dedication of the surgeon and his team that will determine the outcome.  

Hair Restoration is it's own specialty now.  There's a global society (the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery) and a Board.  Choosing a surgeon 100% dedicated to hair restoration is paramount.  If "NeoGraft" suddenly appears on a long list of other procedures a physician offers, I would be wary, as it is unlikely that the physician has a full-time, highly-trained team of hair restoration technicians, and is just hiring one of many "hired gun" technicians that will arrive at the office, and do the procedure for $70 an hour.  There are hundreds of subtleties and nuances in hair restoration, and assuming that because a physician now offers NeoGraft, in addition to all the other procedures offered, will be competent and excel at hair restoration surgery is simply foolish.  Look at the experience and dedication of the surgeon who will be performing the surgery, and make sure technicians are not actually the ones who will be performing the surgery.  Also make sure the physician you choose is actually a trained surgeon.  The majority of hair restoration "surgeons" are, in fact, not trained in surgery at all, and hold no board certificates in any surgical specialty whatsoever, so examine your physician's credentials carefully.  You should feel perfectly comfortable asking for a copy of the surgeon's resume to review.  Look for many years of dedication exclusively to hair restoration, not just cosmetic surgery in general.

This problem is so rampant and common that the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery, the global community of physicians practicing hair restoration, issued a consumer alert about this issue.  I see patients every month who had a hair restoration performed by a technician with the NeoGraft device presenting to our office asking for help; asking me to repair the unnatural looking hair transplant results.  This is often very difficult, and occasionally impossible.  Because as we say in this specialty, "the good thing about hair restoration is that it's permanent.  The bad thing about hair restoration is that it's permanent."  Consult with more than one surgeon, make sure he or she is actually a trained surgeon, and get a feel for who you think will be the best for you.  A machine absolutely does NOT guarantee good, or even acceptable results.

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neograft

+5

Having placed over 500,000 grafts with the device, automated FUE has proven to be a superior alternative to decreasing the morbidity associated with strip surgery.  You must consider the experience of the physician using the device.  It has a steep learning curve and in the right hands, much like many other procedures, offers a safe alternative to the conventional strip method.  

Dr. Malouf

Peter Malouf, DO
Dallas Dermatologist

Neograft

+3
I have had over 13 years of experience in hair transplantation, and I feel the NeoGraft FUE device is a great way of harvesting FUEs without leaving a visible linear scar on the harvest area (back of the scalp). Realize that some surgeons do the FUE with a manual skin punch and others use the new robotic hair transplantation system by Artas. Each of these have their place in hair restoration. I feel the NeoGraft is a great tool is harvesting large number of grafts (<2000) in the quickest time. However, it is dependent on the skill of the person using it. The Artas system uses a robotic system that is more consistent in graft quality results. I would not do NeoGraft if the case needed over 2000 hairs, since the surgeon might get fatigued and the later grafts might not be as good as the earlier grafts. Over 2000, I recommend the robotic system for consistent graft quality and results.

Omeed Memar, MD, PhD
Chicago Dermatologist

NeoGraft Device for Hair Transplant

+3

I am disappointed to see as many inaccurate statements in the above comments, and unfortunately they only serve to further confuse the public.  NeoGraft is a device that removes follicular unit grafts one at a time-  a well-used technique called FUE.  Just because the NeoGraft device is used does not mean that this is the only way to do the FUE technique, nor is this a guarantee of a high rate of regrowth.  It is only a tool, that does not assure an aesthetic result.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Best Hair Transplant Method

+3

NeoGraft and Accugraft are the latest technologies available for hair transplantation.  They are in the category of automated Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) where individual grafts are selected rather than previous methods of removing a section of the scalp.  FUE is a permanent option that yields a 95-98% success rate.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

FUE Hair Transplant with Neograft vs without

+2

Neograft is essentially FUE harvest with a dental drill combined with suction extraction.  Very few hair transplant specialists use the pneumatic device to implant and as such this aspect is more of a gimic.  Other power assisted devices exist which are are also modified dental drills or dermabraders. The key feature is to avoid transection of the grafts which is best accomplished by using the sharped punches and careful handeling on removal.  This can be accomplished just as well manually if not better than with the use of the suction device. The future may be with Robotics however robotics does not eliminate the potential for transection as there is no tactile feel with a robotic device.

Arthur N. Falk, MD
Albany Facial Plastic Surgeon

NeoGrafts verses Other Hair Transplant Instruments and Technologies

+1
The Neograft device is a hand-held, powered Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) tool that uses sharp edge dissection. Because Neograft relies on manual control and suction, it risks damage to hair follicles during harvesting from both the shearing of grafts from the suction and transection of follicles due to human operator error.

Instruments that address these shortcomings include the manual SAFE System which uses a two-step sharp-blunt dissection technique and doesn’t rely on suction and the ARTAS Robot which has these advantages and also use a robotic image-guided system to minimize human error.

Robert M. Bernstein, MD

Is NeoGraft the Best?

+1
Follicular unit extraction is a technique of taking out or harvesting one follicular unit at a time.  The neograft is one device to assist with the FUE.  Some surgeons prefer this method while others use different equipment.  Some surgeons argue that the "best" and highest rate of good quality grafts is actually with the strip method as the grafts are cut under the microscope.  I would advise you to seek several consultations to review multiple techniques to find what is right for you and not just a company's advertisement.  Good luck!

Hannah Vargas, MD
Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neograft Hair Restoration

+1
Our Neograft patients report less pain, quicker recovery, and outstanding results. Follicular Unit Extraction means no long, linear scar, and patients can then wear their hair short if desired. Neograft automates this process, making it quick, reliable, and gentle on the grafts.

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neograft Is the Best Hair Tranplant Procedure : I Have Had it Myself!

+1

The Neograft procedure has many advantages to other methods that are being performed:

• No linear scar. As a matter of fact my team helps to hide scars that have been performed by the strip method.
  • Less invasive than the strip method
  • No staples, no Stitches
  • Large areas can be performed in a single session
  • Fast Recovery time
  • Less expensive than manual or robotic procedures
  • 92-98% graft Survivability'

Not only do I believe in it I have had it myself. I am writing to you one day after having the procedure! My team performs the procedure at my Sterling Heights, Michigan location. Interested clients from outside of Michigan can easily access us and we help to set up travel plans.

Mark Berkowitz, MD
Sterling Heights Oculoplastic Surgeon