How Much of a Negative Effect Do Cigarettes Have on a Tummy Tuck or Butt Lift?

I'm 27 and I smoke about 10 cigarettes a day. With that in mind, would I not qualify for any major surgery such as tummy tuck or the butt lift? If so, how long would I have to quit in order to be qualified?

Smoking and Tummy Tuck

+2

The nicotine in cigarettes impairs the blood flow in small blood vessels in the skin which can result in skin necrosis (death) and wound separation.  This is particularly increased in procedures like a tummy tuck in which there are long incisions and big flaps of skin that are advanced into a new position.  The result could be unacceptable scarring and delayed healing requiring wound care.   

Additionally, the carbon monoxide in cigarettes inhibits the delivery of oxygen to the site of wound healing and further increases risks of delayed healing.  From an overall health standpoint, you will tolerate general anesthesia better if you have abstained from smoking, as well as decrease your risk of heart and lung disease.  Most surgeons recommend that you stop smoking (and avoid all nicotine containing products) 4-6 weeks before and after your surgery.  It can certainly be difficult to give up smoking so you may wish to talk to your primary care doctor about smoking cessation medications and support groups.  Good luck!

Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Cigarettes and Surgery

+2

Most doctors will not operate on you if you smoke.  There are serious consequences from smoking and having surgery... You have a substantially increased risk of infection and wound healing issues.  For a surgery such as tummy tuck, a wound healing issue or infection could be life altering.  It is my recommendation the that you be honest with your plastic surgeon about your smoking.  I recommend that my patients stop smoking for at least a month before surgery.

Good Luck.

Web reference: http://www.ShaferPlasticSurgery.com

How Much of a Negative Effect Do Cigarettes Have on a Tummy Tuck or Butt Lift...

+1

Any procedure that requires an incision can be affected negatively by smoking.  Nicotine causes the small blood vessels throughout the body to constrict, limiting blood flow and compromising the healing of the incision. This is especially true for a tummy tuck because the blood flow to the skin in that area is not the greatest and tension is put on the incision during the closure.  You must stop smoking completely for one month prior to a tummy tuck.  If you don't, the incision can break down and it will take a long time to heal.  In general, it is vital to be honest with your surgeon to ensure a safe recovery.

Web reference: http://www.AssociatesinPlasticSurgery.com

Edison Plastic Surgeon

Even 1 cigarette or second-hand smoke increases your risk of dead skin to as high as 15-20%! Just say NO to nicotine or tobacco!

+1

Most surgeons will not perform tummy tuck, breast lift, buttock lift, facelift, etc. on anyone who smokes or is exposed to second-hand smoke. I require a MINIMUM of 2 weeks; 4 is better, and even 1 cigarette is enough to vasoconstrict vessels and kill skin.

Once the skin is dead you cannot "revive" it by promising to not smoke any more! Too late! No kidding and no joke!

If I smell smoke on a patient scheduled for these procedures, I cancel surgery and refund their money (minus a cancellation fee). Even though it's THEIR dead skin, they expect ME to fix it, and that is impossible. You have to surgically debride the dead tissue, let things granulate and scar in by secondary intention over many weeks, and then after sufficient time to soften the scar (6-12 months) you can SOMETIMES re-operate and remove most of the scarring from this misadventure. Best avoided, as you might expect.

Just stop smoking now, (Using Chantix or Zyban is OK) save your money, and have a safe operation! Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Web reference: http://www.mpsmn.com/body-procedures/tummy-tuck

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Cigarette smoking and abdominoplasty

+1

One has to consider the general impact of smoking on one's health  (cardiovascular disease, lung disease, lung cancer etc.), as well as the significant impact of smoking on abdominoplasty.  Nicotine is a potent vasoconstrictor and can result in compromise of the blood supply to tissue following surgery.  This is particularly true for abdominoplasty.  Cessation of smoking for 4 weeks prior to, and 4 weeks after abdominoplasty would be mandatory.  

Cigarette smoking and surgery

+1

Nicotine in cigarette smoke is very harmful to wound healing through a process of vasoconstriction.  This means that nicotine will not allow sufficient oxygen and nutrients to reach the surgical areas that need them the most and will therefore be detrimental to the healing process.  There are many studies that demonstrate the harmful effects of cigarette smoking on wound healing (in addition to its many other harmful effects).  It has been shown that avoiding nicotine for at least three weeks prior to surgery allows the normal wound healing process to take place.  Therefore, I have patients stop smoking (and avoid all nicotine products) for at least four weeks prior to breast lifts / tummy tucks / and brazilian buttock lifts.