What Are the Negative Effects of Having a Chin Implant Via the Inside of Your Mouth?

Is it a bad thing to have a chin implant placed via the inside of your mouth? Is the healing worse than if you did it via the outside? Would you recommend in or out? Which is better for the doctor?

Cons to intra-oral chin implant placement

+1

There are two risks associated with performing a chin implant through the intraoral approach. These are infection and migration. The standard technique of chin implantation is usually performed through the submental approach. We have not seen an infection in over 20 years placing the chin implant through the external or submental approach. We have seen very minimal risks associated with migration from the submental approach. The problem with the intraoral approach is that the implant wants to migrate back out the existing incision through the mouth.  

Inside vs outside approach for chin implants

+1

It is almost always best to go the outside route for chin implant placement. The two main reasons are 1) less chance of post op infection.and  2) better placement of the implant along the lower border of the chin.. I hate to expose an artificial implant and wound site to oral bacteria as this is a receipe for disaster. I also like the implant to sit along the lower edge of the mandible and not ride up as it tends to do on intraoral placement. Tne external incision under the chin is 1 and a half centimeters long and practically invisible. I have done over 1000 chin implants in 25 years all externally and nearly all without any complications or problems.

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bad Idea

+1

Bad Idea. Chin Implants placed through the mouth overall have higher risks of having a position problem, or cutting the mentalis muscle and not repairing it this can lead to a droopy chin or whiches chin deformity.  Its far safer to have it placed through a small incision under the chin.  Its an area that heals very well, is not noticeable and I have never had a patient complain about the scar.

Michael Constantin Gartner, DO
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Chin implants can be placed from incision inside the mouth

+1

Chin implants can be placed either from an incision inside the mouth or through a small incision under the chin. Surgeons are skilled at performing both techniques. I generally choose to use a skin incision when I am performing a facelift, neck lift or liposuction, which will require a skin incision under the chin. The implant can be placed through that incision.  If the patient is having just a chin implant, without the need for a chin incision, I prefer to make the incision inside the mouth. Results are excellent with either approach.

Theda C. Kontis, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant incision

+1

No. It is not a bad thing. Both the intraoral and submental incisions do very well with almost equal healing. It is really a matter of preference of the surgeon. I prefer the intraoral incision since the attachment at the edge of the jawbone is not disturbed. At one time I worried about contamination, but many studies have shown no increase in infection rate over the submental skin incision.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Chin implants, which approach is best?

+1

Chin implants can be placed via the intraoral (mouth) or external (small incision under the chin) approach. There are advantages and disadvantages of each. The main advantage of going through the mouth is lack of a scar. However, in my opinion, this advantage is minor since implants placed via the mouth usually ride up higher and it is very difficult to anatomically place them where they augment the entire chin area. Also, there is a higher risk of infection by way of the mouth. I hope this information helps.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Techniques for chin implant placement - Pros & Cons

+1

Chin enhancement is a powerful aesthetic procedure if planned appropriately and executed with care.  The techniques used include the submental and transoral approach.

Personally, I prefer the submental approach because:

1. The implant can be inserted truly with sterility therefore, minimizing infections.
  2. Excellent exposure for placement of the implant.
  3. The mentalis muscle (chin muscle) is not transected.
  4. The small incision within the crease under the chin heals routinely very well. When combined with a necklift, the incision is already present.

Surgeons, who prefer the transoral technique may argue for the avoidance of the under-the-chin scar. At the end, it all may come down to the surgeon's experience and comfort. For instance, I learnt that some oral surgeons perform chin implants and prefer the trans-oral route.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon