What Needs to Be Done for Foreign Objects in my Lip?

I had a fall last year and bit through my lower lip. The lip was sutured at the hospital however months later, foreign objects began emerging from an opening that continues to fester. Another small object that looks like hard flat plastic, the size of a sésame seed was released with much pus, fluid and blood. Who do I need to see to have this corrected? I asked but each time it appeared to be healing on it’s own so nothing was done. I’m out of the country for 30 days without médical.

Foreign bodies in the lip

+2

I'm sorry that this is happening to you.

It sounds as though the lip wound wasn't thoroughly cleaned of foreign material before it was sutured. If there are still foreign bodies within the lip it is best that these be removed to prevent them continuing to fester and 'spit out'.

A plastic surgeon would be well suited to deal with this type of problem; it may be that in your region a oral/maxillofacial surgeon or general surgeon might be able to assist. Your general practitioner would be well placed to refer you to an appropriate person.

While all things in life are best dealt with promptly, based on the timing of what has been happening it is unlikely that you will come to major harm by waiting until you return home to seek medical attention.

Good luck!

Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Foreign body

+1

the body is trying to do for you what was not done surgically. whatever does not come out on its own will should be surgically removed. if the material coming out are sutures this will heal on its own.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Removing sutures and foreign material from a wound

+1

This persistent wound may close on its own with proper wound care.  If there is suture or foreign material present, the wound will likely only close until the material is removed.  Internal sutures are most likely the culprit. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Foreign body in lip after fall

+1

If you have a foreign body in your lip, it can cause the problems you are describing.  If the object is not removed this can lead to a more serious infection.  I would suggest you see a board certified plastic surgeon to have this removed as soon as you can.  Best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon