Needing Revision Surgery of 10 Yr Old Saline Implants Above the Muscle. One Breast Has CC, Other Okay. Which is Best Option?

Getting 2 diff recs from docs: 1. Replace with silicone, using strattice, over the muscle; or 2. Replace with silicone under the muscle. 1st doc says that the skin will just "slide off" the muscle if new pocket made under the muscle. does this make sense?

New pocket for implants

+1

Of course, this is a case by case decision after a thorough exam, but in general I prefer to place the implants under the muscle.  The subglandular pocket can be obliterated.  Sometimes strattice is used.

Pocket Change for Implants

+1

I prefer to perform a pocket change from subglandular to submuscular position with the new implants.  The overlying skin can be secured to prevent "sliding off" as well.  The use of drains is common with this technique.   I am sure both surgeons are offering good advice.  I find that the pocket change to submuscular position will give you better long time look and protection of the implants.

Tripti Burt, MD

Best Breast Operation for Me?

+1

It is not unusual to receive differing advice from different plastic surgeons. Generally speaking, for patients in your situation, I prefer to place the “fresh” breast implants  in these sub muscular ( dual plane) is positioned when taking care of patients with breast implant encapsulation. During this operation, the previous breast implant pocket space is closed off.  The use of acellular dermal matrix is an option either way.

Of course, in person consultation will be necessary to give you specific advice.

Ultimately, you will need to choose your plastic surgeon carefully.  Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work, preferably speak to patients who have had similar work performed, and make sure you communicate your goals carefully.