Do You Think I Need Rhinoplasty?

Recently, I had an accident and I had thought I broke my nose. Upon impact my nose started profusely bleeding and looked slightly crooked... after 2 or 3 days bruising showed up under my left eye and on the left side of the bridge of my nose. Doctors say its not broken and I don't need the surgery..

Nose after break

+1

You probably do not need surgery and the nose will heal after it has been broken. If you are concerned about the appearance of your nose, the shape or you have some difficulty breathing, then you can have either one corrected. Watch my video.

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Need for rhinoplasty

+1

The need for rhinoplasty is very subjective to the patient. If you would like your nose to be straighter and more symmetric, then you need to undergo a rhinoplasty. It appears from the picture that the nasal bones are crooked and twisted to the left. In addition, on the patient’s left side there is an inward crest upper lateral cartilage, which will require a spreader graft to make that symmetrical with the opposite side.  

Need for Rhinoplasty

+1

Whether or not you broke your nose, have an altered appearance, or difficulty breathing, it would be appropriate to have a rhinoplasty if you do not like the appearance. However, with your history, you probably did fracture the nose.

Repairing a broken nose after injury

+1

If your nose looked straight before the injury, then it is quite possible that you sustained a nasal fracture. The possibility of achieving a repair with minimal surgery by straightening to its original appearance is best when performed within 10 days of injury. IF you desire other improvements in your nose to change the appearance from your previous state, that would require additional surgery.

Sounds like it!

+1

If your nose appears to be different and you are having breathing difficulties after the accident, then surgery would be indicated to correct these problems.

Marisa Lawrence, MD

Do You Think that I Need a Rhinoplasty?

+1

Hi Mr. K,

There are two reasons to have nasal surgery after a traumatic accident.  If you are having difficulty breathing through your nose then septoplasty or inferior nasal turbinate radiofrequency reduction should be considered.

If your nose is misshapen and it bothers you cosmetically, then rhinoplasty is indicated. 

If you are a member of an HMO service, there is no incentive for the surgeon to operate and often times patients are told that they do not need surgery.  On the other hand, there are many unscrupulous surgeons who will operate on anything.  Best to get many opinions, but the ultimate decision is yours, can you breathe through your nose, and can you live with how it looks.

Do choose your rhinoplasty surgeon most carefully.

Good luck and be well.  See the web reference below.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

You would benefit from Rhinoplasty Surgery if your unhappy with the appearance and function of your nose.

+1

I reviewed your photos, and it seems as though you fractured your nose. Your x-rays may not have shown a fracture, but your history and appearance suggest a nasal fracture with inward displacement of your left upper lateral cartilage. That's what's causing your nose to appear crooked.

If you're having breathing difficulties, and if your dissatisfied by the appearance of your nose, then you could consider a nose job. If you would just like to improve the crooked appearance, you would benefit from an Injectable Filler treatment to your left bridge. I prefer Silikon-1000 as a filler in the nose for permanent results.

If any of my colleagues wish to learn more about my experience with Silikon-1000, I am giving an instructional course at the upcoming Fall Meeting of The American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (AAFPRS). The course is titled "Off-Label Applications of Liquid Injectable Silicone (LIS)", and I will be presenting on 9/24/2010 at 4pm. Common conditions treated include: volume replacement, wrinkle reduction, lip enhancement, acne scarring, and correction of many nasal irregularities (“Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty”). I will also be describing the serial puncture, microdroplet technique that is essential for achieving desired results.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

When to get a rhinoplasty.

+1

Whether the nose was broken or not, the aesthetic appearance of the nose can be imroved and straightened with a rhinoplasty. It ia what you would like.

Rhinoplasty after Fracture

+1

Hi,

Many people break their nose and do not have any surgery done. The question is do you have any trouble breathing or internal damage that may need correcting. Also is your nose crooked in appearance?

These are the questions you should answer then consider rhinoplasty. Its always better to fix things earlier than to wait until later in life.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Rhinoplasty after nasal fracture

+1

Following a nasal injury I generally tell my patients that nasal surgery is only required if there is a cosmetic or functional issue that you are having with your nose following the injury.  Changes to your nose because you are unhappy with the appearrance of your nose which is unrelated to the injury can always be performed.  There is also no risk of conservatively watching the nose and not operating if there are no breathing or cosmetic issues.

Philip S. Schoenfeld, MD
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon