Necrosis in Healthy 27 Year Old Tummy Tuck Patient?

I'm 27, a non smoker, not diabetic, with a c section.I had a full TT 11 days ago.Immediately afterwards I noticed what looked like a small blister on the end of the incision.It didn't look bad at first but got worse, grew, & turned black over the next 7 days.Approx 2"x 3" now.I just researched and found out this is necrosis!I'm so healthy and shouldn't have had any complications.I have what he called 'dog ears' on my 'good' side that can be removed later.Did my surgeon pull too tight?!

Necrosis of wound after tummy tuck

+1

Hi - without seeing a photo, it is hard to tell exactly what is happening and why. From what you are describing, it does sound like necrosis of the skin and/or deeper layers. I would recommend seeing your plastic surgeon again to get an opinion on whether or not to leave it as it and let it heal, or if it is deeper, surgically clean the wound up and remove the dead tissue. Complications like this can happen even to the youngest, healthiest patients, so you are not alone in this. Just make sure that if the necrotic tissue does need to be removed, this is done sooner rather than later so you can get along in your healing process. Best of luck!

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Necrosis?

+1

Necrosis is a known risk of a tummy tuck but is most common in the central aspect of the abdomen between the navel and the lower incision where there is the most tension and the blood supply is the most tenuoust.  At the end of the incision the blood supply is more secure and there is the least tension.  I have seen blisters at the end of the incision but this has been due to tape and will usually not present a long term issue.  Hopefully that is what you are seeing but you should follow the instructions of your sugeon so that the problem can be minimized and your results enhanced.  I do have to make note of your comment that you are "so healthy and shouldn't have had any complications."  Unfortunately, no one is immune from the risk of complications despite their good health or the expertise of their surgeons.  A complicaiton does not automatically mean the surgery was performed incorrectly.  The importance of the preop consultation is so you understand that these problems are possible and don't just happen to other people.

Richard Kofkoff, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

+1

Not a common thing, but it does happen. It is far more common in patients with known risk factors, such as smoking, but can occur to anyone. 

Too tight a closure can be a factor, but the ends of the incisions are typically the least tight area. 

Stay in close touch with your surgeon, and follow the advise given to you. With your surgeon's help, you will get through this

Thanks for the question. Consider adding a photo. Best wishes.

Necrosis After Tummy Tuck

+1

It's impossible to tell, especially without pictures, what is going on. The best advise is to follow your surgeon's instructions in order to get everything to heal as best as possible.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Necrosis

+1

Necrosis is a risk of the surgery, but is rare in non-smokers and healthy patients. No one on this forum can say why that has happened to you. Your PS may or may not know why either.

Michael Hueneke, MD