Is This Necrosis or Possible Exposure? (Photo)

Hi, Had BA 2 y ago 450 over muscle.Few months ago some big plump with drainage appeared in my left breast.I was diagnosed with capsular contracture and possible implant exposure.2.5 months ago both implant were removed and about 2 weeks ago new implants were placed(550cc silicone mentor over muscle).My PS is not telling me what is the problem,I was given some support tape and told to wait.I feel something very wrong happening.I'm suffering for about 1 year with implants story ...

Is This Necrosis or Possible Exposure?

+2

Dear Yas,

It is hard to tell from your photos, but to my eye, this does not look like an infection.  You may, however have some tissue necrosis.  Whether or not this leads to implant exposure depends on the thickness of the tissue and if that tissue is alive underneath.  This is most likely a pressure phenomenon.  I agree with putting the implant in a 'fresh' pocket, but if it is above or below the muscle, that doesn't really matter in this case.  The implant would be having the same pressure issue as it is now if he had gone underneath the muscle.  At this point, I agree with waiting.  If the tissue is dead all the way through, then the tissue will need to be removed and likely implant removed as well.  If you have any conditions that can lead to low blood flow to the tissues, such as diabetes, or smoking, I would manage the blood sugars very carefully or stop smoking.  In the mean time, support the area in a soft bra to take some tension off of the area and have close follow up with your PS.  If redness, heat, and drainage start expanding from the area, then it is definitely time to remove the implant.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Is This Necrosis or Possible Exposure?

+2

Your4 photos are not viewable as they are too dark. But with your history, I would suggest you seek a second opinion. Your history is unusual.. My second set of implants would have been placed in a fresh pocket would have been behind the muscle.

Good luck.

E. Ronald Finger, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Breast Enhancement Surgery

+1
I cant really tell whats going on but I do not like what I see, you obviously need to see a surgeon in person soon

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Black skin around breast augmentation incision is cause for concern

+1

Thank you for your question. The photographs are hard to see but I see enough black discoloration to make the concerned. This could be skin necrosis and if it is implant exposure is always a concern.

If your plastic surgeon is not addressing your concerns consider a second opinion by a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, experienced in cosmetic breast surgery and who has an excellent reputation in your community.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Exposure of breast implant?

+1

Thank you for your question and photos.  Although the photo quality is not optimal, there are concerning changes to the skin in those photos.  While physicians over the internet cannot readily diagnose or treat patients, you should seek the advice and management of your surgeon.  If you surgeon does not provide you with satisfactory answers, it may be wise to obtain a second opinion.  

Good luck.

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Possible exposure of silicone implant 2 weeks post-op

+1

At this stage, your wounds should be healing better than these images show.  It is very hard to tell from these images and the poor lighting exactly what is going on, but in reality, it is not too important for us on this website to know that.  All we need to do is tell you that this is not normal, whatever is happening, and it needs to be evaluated promptly by a board certified surgeon.  If your own surgeon is not providing you with sufficient information and reassurance about what is going on, you must get another opinion from a surgeon who can.  This is not the kind of thing that will "take care of itself," and it should not be left to linger, especially with your history.  Good luck.

Joseph L. Grzeskiewicz, MD

+1

VERY hard to see the underexposed posted photos PLEASE repost so we can advise. But if you believe there is exposure than presume this ASAP!! 

Skin necrosis after breast augmentation

+1

It's hard to say without seeing you, but I would suggest getting a second opinion if you're not happy with the current treatment plan.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation healing questions should be answered

+1

It's difficult to make an assessment from these photos, but your pictures appear to indicate an area of skin edge necrosis at the incision line. This may be a minor issue that will heal with a little antibiotic ointment, a band aid, and some patience, or may indicate a significant wound healing problem leading to a risk of exposure of the implant. Your plastic surgeon should be able to let you know what is going on. If you still have questions that weren't answered at your last post op visit, call your surgeon and him/her assess you again, and make sure you have all your concerns addressed. The care of patient after the procedure is as important as the surgery itself

Robert J. Carpenter, MD
Cumberland Plastic Surgeon