Necrosis? I Have an Appt on Wednesday. (photo)

I had my FTT on Wednesday May 22nd. I have this red spot and was told it could be necrosis and now I'm freaking out. I have been putting nitro bid on the area and it seems to be getting better...but today I got a blister too. Please help!

Necrosis?

+2

By the looks of your posted photos and your description of your wound care, chances are better than not that you are going to heal just fine.  The photos do show some tenuous blood flow, however nothing that depicts frank necrosis (it would be black if it did).  You may have a bit of epidermolysis, where the upper margins of the skin may peel off, but at this time, it does not appear to be full thickness.  If it starts to look worse, be sure to contact your doctor to be seen sooner.  Good luck!

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Wound necrosis?

+2

It's difficult to fully assess the wound with the photos above, but it looks like you do have some diminished blood flow to the area.  "Necrosis" means "dead tissue" so I can't tell for sure if it has reached that level.  Your PS will be able to tell you at your next visit.

Victor Ferrari, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Healing after a tummy tuck

+2

It does appear that you have some wound breakdown.  Make sure you see you plastic surgeon regularly to ensure adequate healing.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Skin suffering from trauma after abdominoplasty does not necessarily lead to necrosis.

+1

The trauma the abdominoplasty causes the skin to suffer from tension and decrease blood supply. There is no obvious necrosis in the picture. Your surgeon will help guide you through convalescence.

+1

Yes you have wound edge necrosis with dehiscence. Local aggressive daily wound care and office visits are indicated. Healing time a few months. Sorry for your post operative complication. 

Possible marginal necrosis following an abdominoplasty

+1

Blistering is an early sign of marginal tissue necrosis.  The central area of the lower abdomen is under the most tension and the furthest away from the blood supply.  At this point it is not possible to determine the extent of the problem.  It could range from just some degree of superficial skin slough to a full thickness skin loss.  Your plastic surgeon seems to be managing the problem.  Once the area is fully healed you may have a thickened scar in this area and may need a scar revision but at this point it is too early to tell.  Continue to follow your plastic surgeon's wound care instructions.  

Wound necrosis?

+1

This is certainly a complication but only an exam will disclose necrosis.  Personally, I would not wait until next week to see the plastic surgeon in followup.  Call and ask for an appointment before the weekend!

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Necrosis? I Have an Appt on Wednesday

+1

It appears that you have an area of decreased blood perfusion although I cannot tell how extensive it is.  Please followup with you plastic surgeon and he will help you get through the healing process.  If necrosis does occur then some dead tissue will need to be removed and a possible revision may be needed later.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD