Necklift Vs. Mini Lower Facelift for Sagging Neck, Which One?

I am 47 years old and my neck is starting to sag, while my face is still just fine. I think a lower facelift would be premature, but my neck bothers me. Dr. #1 agreed that I do not need anything done on face, suggested neck lift only, return when I need lower face addressed. Dr. 2 suggested lower minilift ("S" lift) in order to "blend" face in, said it could last 8-10 years. Minilift is certainly more cost effective, but I have heard minilifts don't last as long, aren't as effective?

Neck Lift Almost Always Includes Lower Facelift

+2

Thank you for your question.  The muscles and skin of the neck and lower face are components of the same aesthetic unit. Aesthetic surgical procedures must treat them together.  In my experience when performing a neck lift I almost always treat at least the lower face at the same time.  The risk of doing only a neck lift procedure without re draping the skin of the lower face and jawline is that it will create an inharmonious appearance to the face and neck.

Neck lift +/- lower face lift

+2

I agree with Dr. 2. The neck and lower third of the face is really one subunit. Treating a neck independently almost always results in an unnatural outcome. While I agree that you may not need a full facelift, you should definitely address your lower face, jowls, and mandibular angle in conjunction with any neck lifting procedure.

Marcelo Ghersi, MD

Necklift Vs. Mini Lower Facelift for Sagging Neck

+2

Thank you for your question. We do a mini lift, and include the neck and tightening of he muscles, but not all do that.  My point is that each doctor/surgeon has a list of different things included in the procedure so finds what is exactly going to be done, and plan for that.  We find that doing a neck only leaves some loose skin in the lower face so a mini has worked better for us, well our version of a mink.  Check them all and find out what is included.   I hope this helps.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Necklift vs. Mini Lower Facelift

+2

Based on my experience of performing several revision facelifts, I find that although mini implies less recovery, it can also imply less results.   

The art of necklift surgery lies in appropriate restoration of the muscular anatomy, which is the foundation of the neck.   The excess fat can be directly excised or liposuctioned and the loose skin conservatively excised.

In my experience, it is difficult to fully correct and tighten the neck muscle to sufficient tension without some degree of iv sedation or anesthesia.    The tissues will always relax to a small degree, so I find it paramount to restore the muscular anatomy to give my patients a long lasting result they will be pleased by.

I wish you a safe recovery and beautiful result!!

Paul S. Gill, MD

Lower face lifts almost always go with neck lifts to blend a smooth natural look and can be done beautifully under local.

+2

If your neck is loose and saggy, there is no way you can tighten it appropriately and natural looking without doing a lower facelift with it.  Little s-lifts etc... don't do much for the neck at all and probably last 3 yrs. A lower face/neck lift can be done under local anesthesia and really is much safer and less complications than under general with , I feel, better more natural results. Cost is roughly $8800 on special and so naturally beautiful. Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

+2

A neck lift or combination neck lift/lower face lift are probably your two options.  An exam would be necessary to determine what would be most effective.  Minilift is just a term, and I would look at patients before and after photo galleries to get an idea of the results that a surgeon generates.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of facelifts, necklifts, and facial procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

+2

While a neck lift alone is OK, it almost always creates more improvement when combined at least with a lower facelift. However, without photos it would not be possible to comment on your particular situation.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

+2

Photos of your face and neck would help in the evaluation.  If you are happy with the face and have a small amount of excess skin under the chin....this can be removed through an isolated procedure that can be performed under local infiltration without a formal Necklift or partial facelift.

Necklift

+2

It is hard to tell without pictures but the options include liposuction only, open necklift with no skin removal, face/neck lift, or direct necklift. These all have their place depending on the anatomy of the neck. Most neck procedures can be done under local anesthesia in office to keep the cost down.

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon