What Can I Expect From A Neck Lift Revision With Excess Skin and Scar Tissue?

I had a necklift 1 1/2 yrs ago. I had a wierd look right after under my chin, dr. said you need a vy plasty to remove more skin. Looked great for a week and then more of the same almost like a hinged look. Went to another dr. yesterday and he said I have a thick band of scar tissue under chin and excess skin. My dr. wants to redo and he is not even mentioning any of these problems. Dr. yesterday said this is tricky because of the scar tissue. Will this scar tissue cause me problems later?

Neck Lift Revision Surgery

+1

If the scar tissue is thick and limiting the movement of your skin, this can be a challenge. If pushing your neck skin with your fingers toward the area behind your ears results in an improvement of your neck appearance, then a revision neck lift may be necessary. If the skin is tight already, you may be able to have the more limited neck lift procedure.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Scarring after neck lift

+1

It is very difficult to answer your question without seeing your pictures – you should consider posting images showing your areas of concern

Sam Naficy, MD

Scar tissue after neck lift

+1

It is hard to say what the scar band in the neck is about without an exam or a photo. When two consultations vary widely it may be best to get a third.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

Revision Neck Lift

+1
I would seek another consultation and see if you have two surgeons that agree on the same diagnosis and surgical plan and then discuss these with your original surgeon. I am sorry I can not be of much assistance with this dilemma however a hands on physical examination must be done to see if you are dealing with skin pleats, muscle banding or scar tissue. I wish you the best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

Neck lift failure

+1

It is very difficult to advise on this without hands on examination. It could be scar tissue, excess skin, residual fat, even muscle. The best approach would be based on these assessments. Seek yet another opinion.

Andrew Pichler, MD
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scar tissue and excess skin after facelift.

+1

I would need to examine your neck to give you a professional opinion. Otherwise it it is only a guess as to the extent of your problem.

+1

Without seeing your neck in person or photos, it's unclear.  These historically are pleats of skin secondary to incomplete incision openings within the posterior scalp.  It's through these incision openings that the excess neck skin is redraped and removed.  if the incision(s) are too short (or small) the wider neck skin flap is forced through a more narrow incision resulting in pleats.  These are not scar bands but actual pleats in the skin itself.  While a V to Y transpoition flap may do the trick, it frequently requires a revsision Neck Lift with the proper length incision within the posterior scalp to re-drape the excess skin.  Hope this helps.  Be sure that the surgeon, you select, understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial beauty for the creation of a naturally, more attractive face.