7 Months After Necklift/Lower Facelift the Right Side of Face is Drooping, Stinging and Pain, What Do You Recommend?

had necklift and lower facelift 7 months ago. developed lumps under jawline also droopy right side of face still have numbness and some stinging. My surgeon said plastic surgery does not stop the aging process. I was really upset with this response. She dismissed my concerns! What do you recommend?

Drooping after Facelift and Necklift

+2
First and foremost no surgeon should dismiss their patients concerns so I would suggest going in for a second opinion by another surgeon. Bring your preoperative photographs with you so the surgeon will know what you started with. It is hard to determine if you are having laxity already from your facelift procedure or if you are possibly dealing with some nerve damage. A thorough examination by a good Facial Plastic Surgeon should help answer your questions and concerns. Best regards!

Drooping back seven months after facelift

+2
It is possible for some to lose support in the neck and jowl early after a facelift, especially if the skin is thick or heavy. A secondary lift can give the necessary support and is an option for some. You should wait out a full year to let all scars soften, and you may need a second opinion with a better listener.
Peter Johnson, MD

Drooping after facelift

+2

It is possible to have a drooping face from nerve damage or from recurrent sagging of the tissue. If it is nerve damage you likely would have noticed symptoms immediately or within 1-2 days of the procedure. Bells Palsey is another possible cause of asymmetric facial drooping that can occur randomly and result is complete paralysis of one side of the face creating drooping.

It is also possible that the drooping that you are referring to could be recurrent soft tissue drooping. If this is the case you may need revision surgery. Without pictures and a more detailed history it is difficult to determine exactly what treatment plan is best for you. If you are not satisfied with the explanation given by your surgeon I would seek a second opinion from a qualified and experience facial plastic or plastic surgeon. Good Luck!

Todd C. Miller, MD

Those before and afters are always very helpful.

+2

Unfortunately the way our brains are organized, we never quite remember where we start from.  Instead it is natural to look at ourselves even after a very successful surgery and ask how can it be better.  It is true that surgery does not stop the aging process or the thinking of how to make things even better.  Occasionally people do sag early from a facelift and that may require revisional surgery to address.  It is important to have a surgeon who does not dismiss you concerns.

Revision facelift for droopy face.

+2

I would need to see your face to tell you whether or not you need a revision facelift. Some patients may require a secondary procedure.

Drooping face after Facelift...

+2

I'm sorry to hear about your experience.  It seems like you are describing drooping of the face caused by facial paralysis.  Facelifts need to be done by specialists to avoid any potential damage to any nerves in the area and to achieve natural appearing results.   Facial paralysis following a facelift can be temporary with full return of facial function and loss of droopiness.  However, if this does not return, this can be surgically improved.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can assist you in achieving the results you desire.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Right Side of Face is Drooping

+1

It is very difficult to answer your question without seeing your pictures – you should consider posting images showing your areas of concern.  Pre-op photos would show any pre-existing asymmetry.

Sam Naficy, MD

Drooping after a facelift

+1

A photo in a case like this would be very helpful.  Judging by your description the issue could be due to nerve injury or to recurrent laxity which is a possibility in someone with very poor skin elasticity to begin with.  There may also be a difference with how the procedure was done and the deep fixation may have loosened for one reason or another.

In any case, you should return to your surgeon.  If you have done that and you are not happy with the result of that visit you should get a second opinion by a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Thank you for your question and best of luck.

Ralph R. Garramone, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Drooping after facelift

+1

It's really impossible to say without photos. I would recommend reviewing your before and after photos with your surgeon. Hopefully you will see some nice improvement and maybe some clues as to why it didn't come out as you hoped.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Stinging and pain 7 months after facelift

+1

I am not sure that I, or anyone else on this forum, can answer your question without seeing you, and without having the benefit of comparing your appearance to your pre op photographs.  But stinging and pain 7 months after the procedure is certainly not normal, and if your surgeon does not adequately address your concerns, then a second opinion is warranted.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon