If You Get a Necklift Will It Affect a Future Facelift?

I am able to hold off on a facelift until next year. I am keeping things at bay with Dysport and Restylane I do though have a neck problem with soft beginning of a sagging there. Uneveness from lipo 10 years ago. Which comes first for best results? The face and than the neck? I feel like the horse or the cart asking this, but I think maybe a future facelift will affect the lay of the face. Thanks

Face and Neck Lifting

+3

The face and neck are typically addressed  with one operation called facelifting.  In your situation, it would be in your best interest to have one operation trip to address the  lower face  and neck areas.

Neck or face?

+2

There is no right or wrong order but ideally you should do both the face and neck lift together for the best outcome and best harmony.

Sam Naficy, MD

Neck lift and Face lift. Which is which?

+2

Some would argue that a facelift is misnamed. It really should be called a necklift. However, limited neck work under the chin does not significantly affect a future facelift.

A traditional facelift and a "neck lift" are almost the same thing.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Uneven neck contours and necklift options

+2

You have a few options to address your uneven neck contours. If there is some skin laxity and excess, platysma banding (ie neck cords), and residual fatty deposits, and it is not too extensive, then a procedure called submentoplasty can be performed with an incision under the chin. It is also possible to add incisions behind the ear for more improvement. It will not detract from future facelift results, and there may be less to do in the neck area when you do have the facelift performed. Seek out a Facial Plastic Surgeon with experience and board certification for a comprehensive evaluation.

Harrison C. Putman III, MD
Peoria Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck Lift versus Face Lift: which should I do?

+2

It can  be confusing when one hears about a "facelift" and then hears about a "neck lift" and tries to distinguish between the two.  Lifting the entire "face" sounds scary!    And the most common concern with my facial rejuvenation patients is the laxity of their necks.   But remember that the neck is directly connected with the jawline which is connected to the lower cheeks  which are connected to the midface.....and so on.  It is difficult to separate them.      In most surgeries, when we attempt to rejuvenate the neck we also are improving the lower face. So "neck lifting" becomes part of the  "facelift", which is a rather catch-all name for surgical facial rejuvenation that focuses on laxity of skin and other tissues. Bottom line:  the lower face and the neck are partners in facial rejuvenation and compliment one another when blended together.     Caveat:  some necks are long, slender and lean. Others are short with excess fatty tissue present. The goal in both is improvement. But having realistic expectations is key to success in both cases. 

Donn R. Chatham, MD
Louisville Facial Plastic Surgeon

+2

I have performed Face Lifts and Neck Lifts for over 20 years and the answer is, it depends.  If you have a minimal amount of excess skin, under the chin, this can be excised without a formal Neck Lift.  Formal Neck Lifts, will not only effect any future Face Lift but will require some sort of incision along the front of the ears to remove excess skin.  This is due to the angle of pull, of the neck skin, up and back that always results in excess skin along the jawline IMO.  If this skin is not remove, unsightly pleats will occur. You have three options, IMHO with increasing order of invasiveness and recovery time.  

1. Minimal incision Face Lift with submental neck skin ellipse.
  2. Minimal incision Face Lift with formal Neck Lift.
  3. Full Face and Neck Lift

Facial rejuvenation should be evaluated individually

+2

Lower facial rejuvenation involves correction of aging changes to the neck, lower face and jowl and/or the cheeks.  The specific needs of each patient should  be addressed during a thorough consultation with your chosen surgeon.  I discuss the specific goals the patient has for aesthetic improvement and then go through options.  In some cases it is best to address all areas together, in others you may be able to address a single area, such as the neck, by itself.  It is certainly possible to perform lower facial surgery at a later time after having a necklift.  A more important consideration is whether a necklift alone will satisfy your current aesthetic needs.

Mark Beaty, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Will Necklift affect Future Facelift?

+2

A patient should talk to a surgeon specializes in facial rejuvenation to determine alternative of treatment. If you did have a necklift now, you will be able to have a facelift in the future.  For most of us a facelift includes work below a line from the top of the ear to the corner of the mouth, on the side of the face and neck, and in the front of the neck under the chin. It does not include the forehead or cheeks.

Neck lift and facelift procedures

+2

Proper facial proportions and best rejuvenation results require a careful blending of the face and neck through the jowl transition zone.  Attempting "facelift" or "neck lift" in isolation is rarely a good idea.  There is almost never a reason to separate and differentiate between these two areas: a facelift encompasses the neck; an isolated neck lift is to be avoided secondary to later unnatural wrinkle patterns and skin lines.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Necklift without facelift ?

+2

The face and lower neck age in concert with one another, and are generally corrected during the same procedure for a more harmonious, natural appearing result, i.e. a beautiful trim youthful neck beneath an aging lower face do not really fit well together.

Steve Laverson, MD