Can I Have Neck Ultherapy After a a Platysmaplasty?

Or should I be concerned over the permanent platysmaplasty sutures "melting," for lack of a better term?

Ultherapy after a neck lift

+1

Many surgeons would probably wait several months after surgical neck lifting before submitting the patient to ultherapy to allow the swelling to decrease and for the new collagen to form. 

Ulthera after platysmaplasty

+1

After 3-4 weeks the absorbable sutures should be dissolved and permanent sutures will not be affected.  I use Ultherapy for patients after a facelift or necklift for a little more tightening with great results.  Generally, I will wait at least 6 months to make sure all of the swelling and healing has resolved to get the best possible result for the patient.

Angela Sturm, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Surgery and Ultherapy?

+1
You are getting alot of mixed messages here as to what was done at the time of your original surgical procedure. Basically, you need to speak to your surgeon as to what exactly was performed.  You stated that you had a platysmaplasty which does not necessarily mean that you had skin resected.  The type of suture utilized is not nearly as important as what was done.  Most agree that Ulthera can complement surgery, but this treatment is for the skin, more than the underlying tissues (ie. muscle).  If you are considering Ultherapy, I would seek out a surgeon who has experience in both of these treatment modalities as to give you the most unbiased opinion as to what your future treatment should be.

Ronald A. Lohner, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Ultherapy after Platysmaplasty

+1

If platysmaplasty surgery does not address the issue of loose skin on your neck, ultherapy is another good option; however after any type of surgery your body’s goal is to heal.  I would suggest waiting at least 2 months after platysmaplasty surgery to determine if ultherapy is needed.  Ultherapy can be an excellent treatment for those who have already had surgery or those who are only looking for non-surgical options.  There is some preliminary evidence that ultherapy may work particularly well in patients who have had surgery before. 

I hope that this information is useful.

Paul L. Leong, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ulthera After Platysmaplasty

+1

The beauty of Ultherapy is that one can see what they are treating. Therefore, sutures should be able to be visualized, depending on what kind of suture was used.  Most often Vicryl sutures are used, which last no more than 6 months.  This is the minimal amount of time one would most likely want to wait after a SMAS facelift before electing to do an Ultherapy procedure anyway, a year would be preferable.

Sabrina Fabi, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Ultherapy on neck after surgery is OK if done right

+1

With a platysmaplasty, in which the muscle in the neck responsible for "turkey wattles" is sewn together, the sutures are in the midline. Ultherapy in the neck is best targeted lateral to the midline so should not be done directly over the underlying sutures.

Richard Baxter, MD

Ultherapy is a nonsurgical solution to tune up a post-op neck

+1

JLS44: Check with the PS who performed your platysmaplasty, however consider that Ultherapy is micro-focused ultrasounds so is unlikely to cause mass failure or melting of your permanent sutures.  I regularly utilize this for my post-op facelift patients who request a nonsurgical "tweak" to enhance their results, as it is indicated for mild to moderate skin laxity.  Often the SMAS repair outlives the redraping of the skin flap, so modalities like Ulthera can be offered to post surgical patients as well as younger patients who don't need surgery. Another group of patients well suited for Ultherapy is men.  good luck.

Lavinia Chong, MD