Neck Skin Doesn't Look Even Lifted - 10 Months After Face & Neck Lift. Is This a Common Result? (photo)

Ten months after a face & neck lift (no lipo was done), the skin directly under my chin does not look or feel evenly lifted. One side is taunt and tucks up nicely under my chin, the other side is loose and pliable. Is this asymmetry a common result (that I should just accept), or was the lift not done correctly (and needs a revision)? Thank you.

Neck Looseness at 10 Months after Face and Necklift

+1

Without preoperative photos and an exam, it would be hard to recommend anything.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Loose Asymmetric Skin After A Facelift

+1

After all facelifts, there is some relaxation of tissues.  In most patients, this relaxation is relatively inconspicuous and patient's can enjoy a long lasting facelift result.  There are some patients who have early laxity in the neck after a facelift.  This results in the need for a procedure known as a "tuck up", which can be a relatively minor procedure, sometimes performed in office.  Surgeons who are well versed and experienced in facelifts aim for as low a "tuck up" rate as possible.  However, the "tuck up" rate is never 0 for a surgeon (or else he/she has not performed enough facelifts or followed up on patients long enough) as there are too many factors outside of technical ones which can affect the result including your own inherent elasticity of your skin which can impact final result.   Discuss with your surgeon regarding your result.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Enhancement..

+1

It is unusual to have as much neck skin remaining after face and neck lift in my experience. It appears that there is a need for enhancement to properly define the shape of your neck and restore the angularity that the most people desire after a neck lift. I would recommend that you speak to your surgeon about this issue. If your surgeon does not feel that it would be necessary I will suggest you consider second opinion.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Assymetry after facelift

+1

Not at all uncommon. Total symmetry is imposible. It is very easily correctible but why. Enjoy your mor youthful look. Im sure you feel good about yourself..That is what it is all about not perfection

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

My neck appears asymmetric, even after my facelift!

+1

Beginning in the womb, our faces develop from 2 "sides" of tissue. It is normal for our faces to become asymmetric. As long as this is not too extreme, we don't notice it much. And when you add such factors as movement that may be more on one side than the other, the positions we favor during sleep, sun exposure on our driving side (left side in the USA) and right versus left dominance,  these differences can even intensify over time.  While surgery (such as facelift) is designed to help improve position, sagging, and aging changes, these asymmetries will still manifest themselves. Best advice? discuss with a well trained board certified surgeon before undergoing procedures. This will help all of us understand these factors, set realistic expectations and create happier patients!  

For more and fascinating info on how our faces develop, check out the videos produced by the BBC when you Google "facial development in the womb" 

Donn R. Chatham, MD
Louisville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck doesn't look lifted after a face and neck lift

+1

This is not really uncommon and happens all the time. It totally depends on how you do the procedure. There are many short cuts that lead to less than optimal results. But most of the time your surgeon has the very best intention. If you just do a facelift it won't pull the neck up sufficiently. You need to also do a neck lift as well.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Some slight asymmetry after facelift is not uncommon.

+1

Some slight asymmetry after facelift is not unheard of and can usually be remedied with an small revision. Discuss this with your plastic surgeon.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Face & Neck Lift

+1

It is difficult to tell from your photograph how bad the problem is and there are no before photos for comparison. A complete evaluation will determine how much of a revision you might require it is certainly reasonable ten months ten months post op to undergo revisional surgery.

Howard N. Robinson, MD

Assymetry folowing facelift

+1

I tell my patients that no one is symmetrical. But I would go back to your surgeon and see if he can do a little tuck under your chin to get rid of this excess.This should be simple to do,

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry following face lift

+1

You only provided a post op photo but no preoperative photo for comparison, so that his may represent a very good result or a less than optimal result. Your asymetry can be lessened but most importantly would be to have a candid discussion with your plastic surgeon including a review of your preoperative photos and suggestions for continued improvement.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS