Neck Sculpting Swelling? (photo)

38 yr male. “neck sculpting W/pull back” & chin work done 15 days back. Swelling gone down substantially from cheeks. But still feel swelling (semi-squishy lumps) starting immdly under jaw-line, all the way to bottom of my chin (chin is still quite swollen). While shaving, I cant feel area under my chin. Is this “swelling” that will go away or is this glands (ptotic or hanging salivary glands, submaxillary etc). Is there any way to tell? I am concerned if its a glandular that might not go away

Swelling and Loss of Sensation after Neck Sculpting at 15 Days

+1

Loss of sensation and swelling is not unexpected in the first couple of weeks to months after neck sculpting.  These should resolve.

Swelling following sculpting of the neck

+1

After 15 days, it is not abnormal to still be swollen. You may lose a little bit of feeling in the area as well, depending on what was performed during your surgery. Not to worry, both of these issues will resolve. From here, I would recommend speaking with your surgeon, as he/she knows the extent of your surgery and exactly what was performed. They will be able to provide you with the best advice. Thank you, and best of luck with the remainder of your recovery!

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Swelling and Loss of Sensation After Neck Procedure

+1

Hello, from the photos it appears as if you have had liposuction to the neck. It is normal to have swelling and lose of sensation. In some cases it can take 12-18 months for sensation to come back after liposuction.  If you feel like something isn't right though speak with your plastic surgeon and address all your concerns. Just remember it has only been 15 days since your surgery, it takes time to heal. “Dr. D”

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Necklift and neck liposuction

+1

Dear daisychuck,

• If you had liposuction, then give it time, it will improve (you would notice the absence of a 1-1.5inch incision under the chin if you had a surgical neck lift and not liposuction)
  • This is still early, bring these concerns up with your plastic surgery and see what they say
  • In the end, just be a little patient, it will get better

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Swelling after neck sculpting

+1

Hi although I am not sure exactly what surgery you had, I see a fair amount of swelling.  Not having your normal skin sensation is normal after surgery- if it was liposuction that you had then the sensation will return much faster than if you had some skin lifted and pulled back.  For evaluation of the gland prominence, I'd recommend reviewing your preoperative pictures- if the glands were present before surgery then they may appear more prominent after liposuction.  A return visit to your plastic surgeon is recommended at least by 6 weeks.  Best wishes!!

Stefan Mark Szczerba, MD