Neck Revision for Scarring Due to Drain?

I had a neck revision to improve scaring due to a drain left for a prolonged period of time after a neck lift. The incision under the chin was revised and the area under the chin undermined to free up scar tissue. 6 weeks later still thick under the chin, no improvement in the scar and now what looks like banding due to scar tissue pulling under the incision (according to surgeon). I am told this will improve but the scar tissue seems to be getting tighter. What are my options for improvement?

No Improvement in Scar after Revision Neck Procedure

+1

I would wait for at least 3 to 6 months, because this may improve.  Operating early in these situations adds to the unpredictabilty of the result.

+1

Sorry to hear about your issues.  You might want to ask your Face Lift Surgeon if the submental revision included any sort of muscle plication as this done locally, under the chin, can sometimes result in the creation of anterior neck bands.  

Persistant Bands

+1

Sorry

If you are speaking of a "vertical" band that was present before surgery and is still there after surgery, the cause is usually due to the edges of the muscle not having been sewn together. There can be other reasons. Hopefully, you dont have redness of the skin over the band which could be related to the suture holding on the some bacteria.

You can feel free to ask for a second opinion from an experienced plastic surgeon in your area.

Richard Sadove, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

Scar tissue after a neck lift

+1

CPAmom, thank you for your question. Scar tissue in the neck can be a difficult problem to correct. 6 weeks is still a bit early in the healing process to determine what the ultimate outcome will be. Often it takes nine months to a year to see what your final results will be, especially in cases of revision surgery with pre-existing scar tissue. Numerous options exist including revision surgery, laser resurfacing, steroid injections, massage, and compression. I would make sure that you are compliant with your surgeon's instructions and be patient. There is a good chance that your neck will improve given time.

Todd C. Miller, MD