Chin Liposuction, Neck Lift, or Both for 33 Year Old Male?

At 33 and I have recently noticed some bad changes in the my neck. My jaw is not as defined and angular as it use to be and I no longer have the really nice sharp and strong contour I had in my chin when I was in my early 20's. I am not sure if I should get neck and chin liposuction or a neck lift or both to fix the problems with my chin and jaw?

Neck lift or liposuction will not help the look of this neck.

+3
Based on the pictures that were presented, there is no excess fat in the jawline. There are also no muscle issues of anterior platysmal bands. Neck lift or liposuction will not help the look of this neck.

Neither

+3

I think it's important to understand when and when not to consider surgery. You have a nice jaw line that is very appropriate for a 33 year old. You will never have the same jaw as you did in your early 20's. The key is to look as good as you can at your current age. I don't see any indication in your photo for either liposuction or a neck lift.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction will give you a very minimal benefit

+3

Given what I see in your photo, my advice would be to hold off on any surgical procedure for now unless you are only interested in a very minimal improvement. If a small improvement is what you are looking for (a little bit of fat removed, a little skin tightening and perhaps a small improvement to the profile of your neck) then liposuction will work fine. Otherwise, wait for now.

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

Neckline changes

+3

Liposuction removes excess fat. 

Necklifts performed through an under the chin incision tighten the muscle (platysma)

Chin implants improve projection of the chin and help with the cervicomental angle (neck angle).

An experienced surgeon can guide you after an examination which of these will benefit you most.

Brent Moelleken, MD

There is not enough to warrant surgery yet

+2

I see very little that surgery will correct in your image. You look pretty good. Not all aging changes are amenable to an operative correction. I frequently tell my patients you that you need to have enough wrong for surgery to be an answer.

I would follow by saying that any doctor to whom you went who said you were a good candidate for surgery is likely thinking more about his financial gain than your well being.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Too young for surgery

+2

I answered your other question.   In a few years, you will benefit by a small chin implant and a neck lift.  Liposuction will not help you.  Don't do any thing now, except possibly the chin implant.  Your view of your self does not seem accurate.  You look very young.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

The best candidates for liposuction have good skin elasticity

+2

With your apparently good skin quality and moderate amount of fat, liposuction would be your first choice.

The best candidates for liposuction have good skin elasticity allowing it to "shrink wrap" after the excess fat has been removed. Your photo appears to show that quality.

A neck lift would be required for lax skin.

Ricardo Izquierdo, MD
Oak Brook Plastic Surgeon

Maybe liposuction and maybe just weight loss

+2

Your neck and jawline don't look too bad. Liposuction would make a small difference, but means surgery and risk. Get your body fat measured and get it down to less than 10%. See how your jaw looks then. If it's still puffy, get the lipo.

G. Gregory Gallico III, MD

Neck Lift Not Required for Many Younger Patients

+1
Lipo vs Neck Lift or both? It all depends on your exam - Your plastic surgeon will evaluate you for three main features:

1.Amount of excess fat (needs lipo or direct removal).
2.Presence of Significant Platysmal Banding (requires playsmaplasy or Botox)
3.Amount of excess Skin and condition of your skin. For example younger age, darker skin colors and no large weight loss history means there will be better elasticity and therefore better post surgical contraction. In milder cases if not too much fat is present there will be enough skin shrinkage with just lipo alone. However for moderate and severe skin redundancy a neck lift or lower facelift is needed with or without lipo for best results. Mild to minimal skin tightening using non surgical means like the Sciton Laser SkinTyte procedure, Ultherapy or Thermage could also be considered.
you are young as your photos appear, I would recommend just doing Liposuction as you can always later on do a neck lift if needed. Thermage and Ultherapy will not address the fat component of your problem and at best result in mild skin tightening in my experience.

In your particular case as you are young, I probably would recommend just lipo and maybe a non-surgical skin tightening procedure would be a good place to start though an exam would be required for the best advice.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Chin Liposuction for Male

+1

It’s not unusual for patients to have concerns about the aesthetic appearance of their chin, jawline and neck.  These concerns are usually related to skin laxity, neck fat, muscle abnormalities and deficiencies of the underlying bones.  The type of procedure performed to correct these problems is entirely dependent upon the anatomic cause of the condition.

Your pictures suggest minimal fat accumulation along your jawline and neck.  Although liposuction of the neck might result in minimal improvement, it’s not justified because of the risk benefit ratio.  Under these circumstances it might be better to wait until your deformity is more noticeable before proceeding with surgery.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon