Neck Liposuction for Men..results Are Not Dramatic As in Women

I complain of submental fat pad (double chin). I want to do liposuction but I was told that liposuction in men is not as successful as in women. This is because the fat in men is not usually superficial and get mixed with neck muscles and therefore results are not usually dramatic.

Liposuction - Are Men Good Candidates of Lipo of the Chin/Submental Region?

+2

Hi Sam2011,

That's not my experience at all.  I routinely have male patients who get nice results from lipo - so it's not (necessairly) just the male/female issue.

What I would say, though, is the following:  the final result of a liposuction depends on what the patient looks like before-hand (ie, the anatomy), the surgery that's done and the way that the patient's skin and subcutaneous tissues contract into their new contour.  So as long as there's enough fat in the right areas (and the surgery, etc., proceeds according to expectation) a nice result can be obtained.

There are cases in which the bulge is made up of more skin than fat (so lipo won't do as much), or some of the fat is sub-platysmal (below the muscle).  And it's perhaps slighltly more common for either or both of these to be the case in men versus women. 

However, for the vast majority of cases, I would say that it needs to be individualized and that you cannot necessarily make an absolute assumption based on sex alone.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Men can get a good result from neck liposuction

+1

There are several variables for both men and women in terms of obtaining good results from neck liposuction.  Unless the skin is incised and surgery is done on the layer of fat underneath the muscle with direct observation by a plastic surgeon, many cases of neck recontouring involve only  liposuction and then it is only done on the plane above the muscle. If a man or woman has a significant amount of fat below the muscle they won't get  a great result from liposuction alone.  If a man has a thick bearded skin of the neck, he may not get as much skin retraction after the liposuction as compared with a man whose beard hair is less thick and less dense. This wouldn't affect the amount of fat that is removed however.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Liposuction of the neck in men

+1

I think that men, assuming they are good candidates for neck liposuction, get just as good if not sometimes better results than their female counterparts.  You are correct in saying that sometimes the fat can lay either below, subplatysmal, or above, supraplatysmal, the muscles of the neck.  The results are best if the majority of the fat is on top of the muscle.  If you have fat in both compartements, and especially if you have loose skin, you may need an open approach to a neck lift which can include tightening of the neck muscles and removal of the fat in both areas.  Let you plastic surgeon decide what would be best for you.  Good luck- Erez Sternberg, MD.

Erez Sternberg, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Neck Liposuction in Men

+1

I have not been aware that liposuction of the neck is any less effective than in women.  The improvement from liposuction is dependent on your anatomical factors...amount of subcutaneous fat that can be removed (as opposed to deeper fat that would require open removal), whether the underlying platysmal muscles are satisfactory or would benefit by open tightening, whether you anatomically have a deep or shallow neck angle underneath the fatty excess, the quality of your skin in regard to the ability of the skin to redrape and spring back rather than loosen, etc.  A board certified plastic surgeon should be able to examine you and discuss whether you are a good candidate.

Robert M. Grenley, MD

Neck liposuction in men

+1

Neck liposuction can be just as effective in men as in women.  It completely depends on the individual and is highly dependent on the degree of skin laxity.  Make sure you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who will be able to give you the best advice. 

Jeffrey E. Kyllo, MD

Submental/neck liposuction

+1

My experience has been that men do very well with liposuction of the sub-mental or neck areas, even when there is not a lot of fat present.  There is a muscle directly under the skin (the platysma) that is thicker in men than in women, and some of the result from liposuction is due to the irritation of this muscle and subsequent fibrosis.  As the irritated platysma contracts, it creates a hammock-effect that lifts the loose neck skin and creates an improved contour.

Michael Kreidstein, MD

Neck Liposuction in Men

+1

Neck Liposuction in men can be as dramatic as it is in women. However, many factors go into the result. Changes in women are not dramatic if the skin is very thick, there is significant excess skin, or if there is also fat beneath the muscle. This is true also in men. However, in properly selected individuals, results can be very pleasing and significantly improve your appearance.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon