Neck Liposuction with Chin Implant - Waiting Time

I am 37 yo male. - My plastic surgeon said that I need chin implant with the liposuction. Do you think I can benefit from liposuction? He won't do them together. He will do the lipo first followed by the implant 2-3 months later. Why is the gap between the 2?

Chin implant and submental fat removal can be safely performed together!

+2

In fact, I routinely do this surgery this way (one stage). I am not sure why your surgeon has recommended splitting this into two procedures, and I certainly hope it is not financially-based.

You can have an extended anatomic Flowers mandibular glove solid silicone elastomer chin implant placed via a submental incision into a subperiosteal pocket, the deep periosteal and muscle layers closed, and then a perfectly safe and smooth direct excision of the subcutaneous fat carried out. This allows the most precise fat removal, accurate hemostasis under direct vision, and no risk to your chin implant (and all done through the same incision). For six examples of my patients who have had this exact operations, click on the link below.

If there is no apparent reason for staging the procedure into two parts, I would seriously consider a second and perhaps third opinion from experienced, ABPS-certified plastic surgeons. Good luck!

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and chin implant surgery in California

+2

In general liposuction and chin augmentation can be synergistic in providing a more defined chin area.  They can be staged if liposuction alone or chin implant alone would create the look one wants.  This is often the reason to stage procedures and can end up avoiding a procedure one may not want or require to achieve the look they want.  Best wishes.

Charles Perry, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant & neck lift can be done together

+1

A chin implant and a neck lift can be performed at the same time.  Neck liposuction will only address submental fat.  In the male neck there is both submental fat and subplatysmal fat, which need to be addressed in addition to tightening the muscles and occasionally softening the digastric muscle.  The chin implant and neck lift operations can be done simultaneously as an outpatient procedure under general anesthesia, and takes approximately 2 hours to perform. There is no need to perform these as 2 separate surgeries.  

Neck liposuction and chin implant done together are ideal for you.

+1

Neck liposuction and chin implant done together are ideal for you. They are best done at the same time because you have to go through with the surgery and the recuperation only once, and because the combo will usually cost less than the total done separately.

However, I have to suggest that you do some weight loss before doing any surgery. The result of your surgery will be much, much better if you rreduce the fat in your cheeks.

CLOSING INFO
G. Gregory Gallico, III, MD, FACS
Associate Professor, Plastic Surgery
Massachusetts General Hospital
Harvard Medical School
170 Commonwealth Avenue
Boston, MA  02116
Tel: 617-267-5553
Fax: 617-267-5507
ggallico@partners.org

G. Gregory Gallico III, MD

Neck Liposuction and Chin Implant

+1

Neck Liposuction and Chin Implant are frequently done together, and I can see no advantage of separating them. In fact, doing them at the same time has a number of advantages. Both complement each other in improving the area. You would definitely benefit from the chin implant. Without an examination, it is impossible to tell how much the liposuction would improve you, but probably also significantly.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant and submental liposuction can be safely performed together

+1

Chin implant and submental liposuction can be safely performed together. In fact, the small submental incision for the liposuction need only be slightly extended to place the chin implant. Considering that this provides a single anesthetic, single procedure and single recovery period, I would consider doing both procedures simultaneously to be safer.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck Liposuction and Chin Implants

+1

Dear Sam in South Florida:

Neck liposuction and chin augmentation are a great combination for appropriately selected patients. Neck liposuction can reduce neck fullness under the chin and the chin augmentation can enhance further enhance and define the border of the jaw separating the face and neck.

These can be combined into one procedure with the advantage of one recovery period, or can be performed separately, though the advantage of separating the two is not obvious. 

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

+1

I usually do them at the same operative setting. You need a better reason of a separate operation. Please find this out for us. 

Chin Augmentation And Neck Liposuction Produce A Better Facial Profile Result When Done Together

+1

There is no practical reason that I can see why a chin implant and neck liposuction would be staged or done as two separate surgeries. The only remote reason would be that it is not for certain that you would benefit by a chin implant so the results of the neck liposuction could determine if it is really needed. However, your facial profile shows that you would clearly benefit from chin augmentation. In fact, the combination of both procedures will produce a better facial profile improvement than either one alone.   

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Delayed chin implantation and neck liposuction

+1

I'm not sure why your surgeon wants to stage your surgery. It's quite common in my practice to do a chin implant and neck liposuction at the same time. Ask your surgeon to explain the reasoning. If you aren't satisfied with the answer you could consult with a different surgeon to get another opinion.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD