I am 45 years old. ​Would it be best to do Liposuction and Laser Tightening or Neck Lift? (photo)

I would like to do something about my jaw line and neck. I am afraid if I have lipo done and the laser doesn't work I will have excess skin.

Facelift, liposuction or laser tightening for 45 year old?

+2
Facelift, liposuction or laser tightening for 45 year old? Laser tightening for you is a waste of money! Liposuction alone will probably leave you with excess sagging neck skin. A facelift with liposuction will give you what you want. Choose a very experienced facelift surgeon--no mini lift. 

Neck Improvement: Laser, Lipo, Neck Lift - how to decide.

+1
Recommendations to Improve your neck appearance depends on your exam - Your plastic surgeon will evaluate you for four main features:

1.Amount of excess fat (needs lipo or direct removal).
2.Presence of Significant Platysmal Banding (requires playsmaplasy or Botox)
3.Amount of excess Skin and condition of your skin. For example younger age, darker skin colors and no large weight loss history means there will be better elasticity and therefore better post surgical contraction. In milder cases if not too much fat is present there will be enough skin shrinkage with just lipo alone. However for moderate and severe skin redundancy a neck lift or lower facelift is needed with or without lipo for best results. Mild to minimal skin tightening using non surgical means like the Sciton Laser SkinTyte procedure, Ultherapy or Thermage could also be considered.
4. Chin deficiency (without adequate chin support your neckline will suffer)

In your case on the basis of your photo your best result would be with liposuction and a lower face/neck lift Lasers such as the Sciton BBL SkinTyte, or even IPL afterwards could be used for maintenance of your results.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Custom Neck Lift Surgery

+1
It really depends on the anatomic and aging processes. If an individual has extensive fat accumulation, then he or she will require liposuction. If that patient is young with good skin elasticity, then a neck lift is not required. In individuals with extensive laxity, then you will require a neck lift with or without a facelift procedure. As always, it always should be customized to your desires and issues at hand.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Neck lift with or without skin removal

+1
A neck lift procedure can be designed to remove skin if necessary. A neck lift procedure involves removal of fat deposits above and below the platysma muscle, and a platysma plasty. If jowls are present along with significant neck skin laxity, then a face neck lift is required. For many examples, please see the link below  to our neck lift photo gallery

Neck procedures

+1
  • You are not a candidate for either liposuction or laser resurfacing of your neck. The former will leave you with hanging excess skin and the later bad scars. You need a facelift with fat removal and platysma muscle tightening of your neck. I doubt if anything less would produce a satisfactory result.

Howard N. Robinson, MD

Lower face/neck lift is so easy to under go under local.

+1
Liposuction and laser skin tightening would not make as much of an improvement as getting the lower face/neck lift under local for roughly $8800 on special. It is so natural looking and amazing. Sincerely, David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Best Neck Options

+1
While nothing can replace a physical exam, based on your photograph a classic open surgical approach to reposition the platysma and excise skin is always going to produce greater changes than an energy based skin procedure whether it is combined with liposuction or not.  Usually, radio frequency based energy machines (Fraxil, Thermage, Reaction, etc.) are used for tightening skin versus laser (light energy based machines) for skin resurfacing.  Although laser devices can produce some skin tightening. 
I'm not sure liposuction by itself will make a significant change in your neck contour.  However, you could certainly try the energy based treatments without the risk of skin incision scars but in my opinion you will be best served with an open, laterally based, surgical neck lift with division and resuspension of the platysma.  Best wishes.

Timothy M. McGee, MD

I am 45 years old. ​Would it be best to do Liposuction and Laser Tightening or Neck Lift?

+1
In your case and over the internet only a guess I would do a combination of neck lifting + lipo + ThermiSmooth RF to your neck.... 

Possible laser facelift candidate

+1
If you are not particularly keen on the idea of a mini-facelift (which I assume is why you are interested in liposuction and laser), I would consider a "Lazerlift". This uses a laser that goes through liposuction ports under the skin and fires the laser into the fat and the underside of the skin. This has the huge advantage of being able to deliver the laser energy to the deep dermis and allows for new skin collagen formation and skin tightening. You can achieve much better skin tightening than a laser fired from surface. This is usually combined with neck liposuction under oral sedation and local anesthesia (no general anesthesia).  The downtime is far less than an ablative CO2 surface laser as well. If you are curious research PrecisionTX.

skyfacialplasticsurgery.com/minimally-invasive-laser-facelift/

Sirius K. Yoo, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Necklift and liposuction are both possible, but patients will have difference level of improvement.

+1
Based on the photograph, one would expect improvement with both liposuction and neck lift.  Liposuction has the advantage of being simpler, cheaper, and faster to recover from.  The downside of liposuction is that the skin will not be tightened (other than it's own retraction), and in a few years a neck lift will likely be desired by the patient.  As for neck lift, the advantage is that the shape of the neck would be expected to look better than it would with liposuction and it would last significantly longer (7-10 years on average), but the downside is that the procedure is lengthier, more expensive, and has a longer recovery.  

The most important thing is to discuss your needs, wishes, recovery time constraints, and budget limits with an honest and experienced surgeon, and receive bias-free personal advice.  ALWAYS consult a surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, to ensure the highest standards of ethical practice and safe surgery.

Reza Momeni, MD FACS

* The above commentary is not personal medical advice, and is intended for general education on the internet.

Reza Momeni, MD
Summit Plastic Surgeon