Neck Lipo Alone or Also Platysmaplasty? (photo)

I'm 24m (5'11", 170, 12%bf). Just had a consultation with an PS & loved him. I told him that I wanted a stronger jaw/profile. He checked me out & strongly recommended only neck lipo given my age . He said platysmaplasty is a bigger deal & can be done later if I don't feel the results are drastic enough. I rarely see neck lipo w/o platysmaplasty & love those results. Thoughts? Am I going to just be double paying (3k + 7k for the 2nd)? What's the likelihood of loose skin? Kinda on the fence.

Neck Lipo or Neck Lift?

+1

It's hard to say without a physical exam, but typically at your age, a neck lift is not necessary.  Start with the liposuction procedure but you may want to consider a chin implant.  Talk with your surgeon and ask if a chin implant would give you a stronger profile.  ac

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Lipo of neck alone

+1

At 24 years old it is most likely that you would need submental liposuction alone and not muscle work.

Neck Lipo Alone or Also Platysmaplasty?

+1

You answered your own question. The faster operation, lipo, would MOST likely achieve the results you desire but there is always a risk. 

Not Liposuction Alone

+1

Thank you for the photographs.  Your PS is correct in one respect in that liposuction would be better than plastymal work.  Your main issue appears to be your recessive jaw/chin.  This is best addressed with jaw advancement surgery and possible chin advancement.  This would decrease the fullness beneath your jaw.  If that is not the direction you want to go then a chin implant with liposuction will improve that area.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Strengthening Jaw in the Young

+1

Without an examination it is impossible to give exact recommendation. However, in someone your age, if you have mostly excess fat without lax muscle, you should do well with liposuction alone. Your skin should retract well. I have never gone back to do anything else in all the people your age I have done liposuction alone on when there was significant excess fat present.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Neck liposuction

+1

You will do well with just liposuction.  I have been doing this procedure since 1982 and procedures number in the thousands.  Less than 10% need any neck dissection and muscle procedures.  Go back to the guy you liked.   Your surgeon of consult is correct.  My Best.  Dr C

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Neck Lipo Alone or Also Platysmaplasty?

+1

Chin liposuction and chin implant would produce a very nice result, but the need for a neck lift is hard to evaluate with pictures alone.  If you have a thick supraplatysmal fat component amenable to liposuction, then this may be a good idea.  However, if there is muscle laxity and subplatysmal fat, the result will be underwhelming.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA