Should I get a Neck Lift? (photo)

Would a neck lift alone fix my saggy turkey neck or do I need liposuction as well? I'm 38 yrs old so I wasn't in the market for a face lift. The loose skin is a result of heredity and weight loss. I have short thin hair, will ear scars be very noticeable? Thanks.

Considering Neck Lift?

+1
It is very difficult to tell from the photo you provided, and the best option would be determined by an in-person consultation.

You are young for a neck lift, and likely do not need a big operation to give noticeable results. Platysmasplasty and/or liposuction are both options you could consider.
                                                                                                                                   However, in my opinion, you should also consider Precision TX laser with liposuction.  This procedure utilizes a Nd-YAG laser delivered through a fiber under the subcutaneous level of the neck and lower face.  It is minimally invasive, with no visible scars, done under local anesthesia safely in the surgeon's office.  The laser very effectively addresses both skin laxity and excess fat, as well as tightening of the deeper layers.

Results are not as pronounced as with a full face and neck lift, but they are much better than that achieved with Ultherapy.  It is a relatively new procedure, and not many surgeons are using it yet, but my patients and I have been very pleased with the improvement gained, without the scars, risks, and downtime of surgery. 

Manchester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Necklift in a young adult

+1
It may be that you would need a necklift to correct your concerns. It is difficult to tell from the one photographic view. That being said, I personally have had a lot of success with liposuction alone in patients under 45. Often times, just removing the excess fat can result in tightening of the loose neck skin negating the need for a more formal lifting procedure.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck lift?

+1
You may very well be a candidate for a neck lift, but the photo is not the best angle to see.  You should go for a consultation in person.

Should I get a necklift

+1
Thank you for your question and for the photo. It is difficult to tell much about your neck based on the photo that you provided, since your neck is turned. You may have some loose skin due to your weight loss and some genetic factors, but an in person exam would be needed to establish the choices for treatment.

There are a variety of different options to treat the aging changes of the neck, and these need to be selected and varied to meet your individual needs. A neck lift treats three aspects of laxity:
-unwanted fat
-loose skin
-laxity of the platysma muscle

In your case, you may be a candidate for a limited incision necklift performed through a small incision beneath the chin. This would allow tightening of the platysma muscle and avoid minimal scarring. If significant skin laxity is present, this can be removed through an incision behind the ear, but your hair style may make this problematic.

You may also be a candidate for a nonsurgical treatment such as Ultherapy. While more subtle, it can improve the neck contour without any scars.

Ultimately, I would suggest an evaluation with a board certified plastic surgeon. THey can examine your neck and give specific recommendations for your neck.

Best of luck with your neck,

Jeff Rockmore

Jeffrey Rockmore, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Should You Consider a Necklift ?

+1
The purpose of a necklift is to improve the contour and appearance of your neck.  Generally, there are 3 tissue layers that need to be analyzed to determine what combination of techniques will create the best results:  skin, fat, and muscle.  A necklift may include tightening skin from behind the ears, removing fat from under the chin or along the sides of the neck, and tightening the platysma muscles of the neck (which can sag over time forming vertical ridges in the front).  Muscle tightening can be done via a small incision under the chin or from incisions behind the ears.  Although a standard necklift is essentially the lower part of a facelift, it can be done alone, and sometimes all a patient needs is to have some fat removed or muscles tightened from under the chin.  It all depends on just what is causing your problem.  However, loose skin, which your photo shows, will require skin tightening from behind the ears.  If you are bothered by the appearance of your neck, schedule a consultation with a plastic surgeon experienced in necklift, and make sure you understand what is causing your problem and how the proposed surgery will correct it.

Richard G. Schwartz, MD

Neck Lift

+1
with only one limited angle photo I can't offer any useful commentary.  You seem a bit young for this surgery.  You should see a BC PS in your area for an in-person consultation.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Too Young For Facelift

+1
You are too young for a facelift. The small amount of excess skin under the chin can respond to a limited submental platysmaplasty. If that does not fix it then a Z plasty excision of the excess skin under the chin will reduce it. 
Regards
Dr. J
Disclaimer: This answer is not intended to give a medical opinion and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck lift candidate

+1
 It is difficult to tell from one photograph with the patient  is turning away from the camera.  In our practice, a neck lift is performed for patients who have excess fat in the neck. A platysma-plasty is performed when the fat is removed above and below the platysma muscle. This also helps give more jawline definition. When excess skin is present, a face and neck lift  must be performed to tighten up extra skin from behind the ears.  
For many examples of neck lifts and face/ neck lifts, please see the link below  to our photo gallery

Necklift for Sagging Skin

+1
From the pictures you provided it does appears that there is a mild degree of laxity in the neck.  It appears this is mainly due to excess skin, which is not uncommon with weight loss.  It is difficult to see from these pictures if platysmal banding is present as well.  You are a good candidate for a "Mini Facelift" which would address your neck, as well as any facial laxity as well.  A platysmaplasty, can also be performed in conjunction with a "Mini Facelift"  if banding is present.  An experienced facelift surgeon will orient and close the incisions in the correct manner to allow them to be virtually unnoticed. I suggest consultation with a board certified surgeon specializing in facial rejuvenation.

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck Lift?

+1
The combination of banding of your platysma muscle and laxity of the skin would definitely make you a candidate for a neck lift.  You need a careful examination to see whether you would benefit also from a face lift.  The scars are well hidden at the hairline and should not be noticeable if the procedure is performed well-even in someone with short hair.  

Michael Sundine, MD