Am I a Good Candidate For a Neck Lift And Cheek Fat Removal? (photo)

Hi, I'm 28 years old and have always had the problem of a "fat face", it seems I'm one of the people where the fat goes to the face first and even though I'm physically fit, exercise a lot and within my recommended weight for my age and height I still have a lot of excess fat in the neck and cheeks and lack a defined jaw line. I'm considering a neck lift with fat removal in the cheeks also. Would I benefit from it? Thanks.

Am I a Good Candidate For a Neck Lift And Cheek Fat Removal?

+2

No, at 28 years old a Neck Lift is not warranted.  The face and neck do appear to have excess fatty tissue that can be reduced with micro-liposuction of the face and neck.  This can be combined with an ellipse of excess skin under the chin as well as Radiesse to shape the mandibular angle and the cheeks for a more angular, ruggedly handsome face.  Be sure that your plastic and cosmetic surgeon understnd and follow the proper aestrhetics of facial beauty.  

Facial Liposuction for "Fat Face"

+1

At my practice in New York, I offer facial liposuction for patients with  fat in the neck and cheek area who want to have a more defined appearance. The bone that defines your neck is called the "hyoid bone" which appears to be relatively low. You may benefit from limited liposculpture below the jawline and under he chin as a relatively conservative procedure for contouring your face.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Cheek fat removal

+1

Based on your photos it appears that you may be a good candidate for cheek fat (buccal fat) removal and neck liposuction.  

Sam Naficy, MD

+1

Your best choice is to discuss a face, neck lift with a skilled and experienced surgeon who can show you impressive results of the operations he or she performed in the past.

Kris Conrad, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fatty Face and Neck in Younger Person

+1

The nice thing about being your age is that your skin will usually contract if the fat is removed from under it. This would probably solve your neck problem well. A full exam would be needed to tell for sure. I cannot see any real excess in your cheeks. Whether it would be reasonable or not to do a little suction there would also require an exam. I would caution, however, that this should be done very carefully, or not at all. The biggest problem you are likely to have as you age is loss of fat. If this happens, you will wish that you left the fat there. See a Plastic Surgeon with significant experience in treating the face and neck.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Neck lift and cheek fat removal

+1

We do not recommend buccal fat pad removal in young adults due to the fact that fat atrophy occurs as part of the aging process.  We do not want to accelerate the aging process.  Fat in the neck is a whole different issue and can be easily removed through a neck lift.  The fat is removed from both the submental and subplatysmal space of the neck through a small incision in the submental area.  The result is greater definition to the neck area.

Treatment Options for Full Face and Neck

+1

There are several good options to better define your jaw line.  Liposuction with SmartLipo Triplex would give you an improved contour to your neck with minimal downtime and a quicker recovery than conventional liposuction. I would not recommend a surgical neck lift for someone your age. However, you could also get a nice result with Ultherapy (focused ultrasound technology) to sculpt the neck and jaw line as a non-surgical treatment option.  This can be performed in a physician's office by someone trained in advanced Ultherapy techniques.  Ultherapy was originally developed for facial lifting and tightening but has been found to be very effective for facial sculpting.  For a 28 year old, I will often recommend Ultherapy to improve definition of the jaw line.  This often makes the rest of the face look thinner without actually reducing facial fat. Good luck to you.

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Smartlipo is my preferred treatment for neck lifts

+1

Smartlipo is my preferred treatment for "neck lifts".  You do not have excess skin of your neck that needs to be removed and so the very most that you would need to have done is Smartlpo.

Enjoy your "fat" face.  The more fat you have the more youthful you look.  It is hard to tell from the single photo, but your problem is NOT too much fat, but too little bone definition.  You may want to discuss jaw angle implants in order to define your jaw line and even a small chin implant to give you a more masculine profile instead of a boyish full face.

Short answer...I can't remember the last time I removed fat from someone's face.  The fat is usually NOT the problem.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction is your Best Bet

+1

From the photos that you are showing and your stated age, I feel liposuction would be your best route. Your chin looks appropriate and at your age, your skin tone should be adequate for liposuction alone. Your deformity is commonly genetic and is an easy procedure to correct. When you make mention of a "Neck LIft", a Plastic Surgeon will think you are talking about a Face Lift. This is something that you do NOT need. The liposuction can include areas a bit above the jaw line to better define it but I would be hesitant to have someone aggressively attempt significant removal of fat from your cheeks. Our central facial fat atrophies (shrinks) when we get older and if too much is removed early it could give you a look that you would be unhappy with later in life. The neck is safe.

Scott R. Brundage, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon