Do I Need a Neck Lift?

My neck has always been a problem for me. My weight is constantly fluctuating (which I don't mind) but my neck makes me never want to take pictures because I feel like I'm missing my neck and instead I just have skin from the chin to the bottom of my neck. I'm considering cosmetic surgery but am unsure what exact procedure I will need. I'd appreciate any advice.

Do I need a neck lift or neck liposuction?

+2

Dear Patient from Syracuse, New York,
I reviewed your neck photos. It appears that you are young with a good neck skin elasticity. I don’t recommend any neck lifting procedure. A laser-liposuction such as SmartLipo would be a good option for you. The procedure will reduce the fatty tissue and well tightening the neck skin.

Perhaps liposculpture or Ulthera

+1

Liposculpture or Ulthera may work.  Also i would want to see you in person to consider a chin implant or dermal fillers in enhance your jaw line as well.  please feel free to contact my office if you are interested in a consultation.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Young patient with obtuse neck

+1

Young patients who do not have a well defined or aesthetically pleasing neck are typically not excellent candidates for a neck lift as they do not have much skin laxity.  However, they may be wonderful candidates for submental or neck liposuction to contour the neck.  This combined with a chin implant can truly enhance the jawline and angle of the neck.

Etai Funk, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Candidate for neck lift? Vaser liposuction?

+1

From your photos  you are a young person  with good skin elasticity. Therefore you are a good candidate for neck liposuction especially vaser liposuction. In my experience this is the best type of liposuction currently available. It involves ultrasonic melting of the fat and this energy also increases skin tightening .'There is less swelling and bruising than with regular liposuction.

Andrew Kaczynski, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Necklift vs liposuction

+1

The 3 ways we normally treat the fatty neck are liposuction, necklift, and facelift.  The first 2 depend on having good skin that will shrink over time after fat removal and the facelift removes the extra skin and doesn't depend on skin retraction.  The first 2 are rarer but you look like you could have these.  The choice depends on examining you and on how much depth and angularity you require to be happy.  Because it tightens the muscles, the necklift gives a tighter asngularity than liposuction in most cases.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Neck procedures

+1

Jsut from the photos, you may be a good candidate to just have submental liposuction. As for skin and muscle work that would have to be evaluated in person.  It is too hard to tell from photos.

IGuide necklift, an altenative to cervicoplasty with less downtime.

+1

The iGuide is a new technique, which I have been the first to perform in Illinois, developed by Dr. Gregory Mueller, a Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon. It essentially combines a neck liposuction procedure with long term skin support via a suture. It can be accomplished under local anesthesia without much downtime. 

I recently performed the first of these in the Midwest and it is essentially a variation on a neck lift. The early experience limits me from providing any long term insight. To summarize: it is essentialy a neck liposuction proceure that then involves lacing a permanent suture (thread) back and forth under the chin to maintain the results. It uses a lighted fiberoptic guide to place the suture. Hence, the name Iguide.

Necklift VS. Liposuction

+1

Your photos do not show skin laxity. I believe liposuction will give a good, result if there is skin or muscle laxity a lift would be required.

Robert Sleightholm, MD
Brampton Plastic Surgeon

Goal of neck lift

+1

A necklift involves removal of fat above and below the platysma muscle and tightening the muscle. It does not address any excess skin. If there is excess skin present, a facelift must be performed. Simple liposuction gives only a minimal improvement and cannot address any subplatysmal fat in the neck.