What Neck Lift Surgical Technique Has the Least Problematic Scarring?

Minimal-Scarring Neck Lift Techniques

+1

At my practice in New York, nck liposuction is achieved through tiny incisions placed behind the ears and under the chin, virtually imperceptible once healed. Aside from liposuction, neck tissue that is considerably loose and sagging is best treated by a necklift specific to the person’s cosmetic goals. The necklift, if done in combination with a facelift, can utilize the same incision, within the ear area or extended slightly behind the ear into the hairline. After treating deeper neck tissue, the underlying muscle can be tightened and re-positioned backwards. This maneuver restores a desirable youthful appearance. Excess skin is trimmed and patients are delighted that there is less bruising and swelling than they imagined. This benefit is traceable to lifting deeper beneath the muscle. There is also less scarring with the Quick Recovery Face and Neck Lift procedures I’ve developed. That’s because with more traditional approaches, tension is placed on the superficial layers and the final incision must also bear the weight. As a result, the sutured incision can scar as it heals. By treating deeper tissue, there is less tension placed on the superficial area and the result is a natural and softer look to the jawline and neck, without uncomfortable tightness.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Neck lift scarring

+1

In general, the scarring from a neck lift should be well hidden.  Typical locations are under the chin, behind the ears and in front of the ears.  Some neck lifts (mini neck lifts) are done with just an incision under the chin, placed in a natural crease.

Sam Naficy, MD

Smartliposuction is my procedure of choice for most neck lifts.

+1

Smartliposuction is my procedure of choice for most neck lifts. In well trained hands it also has the least amount of scarring.  Liposuction alone (without the use of laser energy) will not usually give enough skin tightening to make it worthwhile.

In my practice in Salt Lake City, UT I offer even more invasive techniques but find that Smartlipo is able to manage most problems.  The only thing that Smartlipo will not correct is banding of the underlying muscles.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Neck lift surgery and minimal scarring.

+1

Generally incisions for neck lift procedures are placed under the chin and around the ears and follow the hairline.  In younger patients a neck plasty procedure with limited incisions under the chin and under the ear lobe can be performed.  In patientst that have more significant laxity to their neck a more formal neck lift procedure with longer incisions will be needed.  When incisions are closed with minimal tension and with meticulous surgical technique scars usually heal well and are hard to detect.

Philip Solomon, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

3 levels of neck lift & redraping

+1

In my practice in Toronto Canada, I offer 3 levels of invasiveness when considering a neck lift.  Each has its indications and power in addressing neck issues. The technique is often dictated by the patient's own anatomy and aging.  FIRST level is liposuction alone, via one under-the-chin 3mm incision and one similar incision behind each earlobe.  The SECOND level is level 1 with a platysmoplasty, i.e. repair of the hanging neck muscle bands (called Plastysma).  As we get older (and for some younger patients with genetic predisposition), the 2 muscles in front of the neck get loose and 'detach' from each other;  this is fixed surgically with a 18-22mm incision under the chin.  Some people have little fat pads deeper to these muscles and this would also be excised meticulously.  Level THREE is level 1 and 2, with a full redraping via a posterior auricular (ear) incision, as in a lower facelift.  This not only allows redraping of the skin, but the loose muscles can also be tightened behind the ear, adding to the longevity of the neck lift results.  All the finesse of those procedures would be discussed with your surgeon at time of consultation.  Hope this helps!  Dr. Marc DuPere, Board-certified Plastic Surgeon, Toronto, Canada  416.929.9800  visageclinic.com  dupere@visageclinic.com

Marc DuPere, MD

+1

A formal Neck Lift has a long incision that contours around the lower ear, into the posterior ear crease and ends in the posterior scalp.  There are no shortcuts for this incision.  Minimal incision Neck Lifts using an incision under the chin alone have much less tissue dissection and incisions but are not capable of removing the same amount of neck laxity as the formal Neck Lift.  

Neck lifting with least scarring

+1

There are many fads when it come to plastic surgery as well as marketing gimmicks. When it come to a "Neck Lift", a neck with loose, redundent skin cannot be improved unless the skin is removed to tighten it.  A "short scar"  face lift exists but will not work for someone with too loose of skin on the neck. The amount of loose skin determines the scar length and type of procedure needed. A good quality scar depends on skin tension at closure, the ability of your surgeon but most importantly how you as an individual heals. I agree with the opinion below- pick your surgeon NOT your technique.

Scott R. Brundage, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Neck Lift-Which Technique is best?

+1

The simple answer is that there is no single technique that is best for a neck lift.  The procedure must be customized to each patient's anatomy and needs.  The patient with a full neck and excellent skin tone may achieve an excellent result with liposuction alone and very small scars.  The younger patient with isolated neck issues may do well with incisions behind the ears and a small incision in the area under the chin.  In most older patients the neck lift should be performed along with a face lift for optimal results.  The incisions can be placed in locations that are well hidden and do not distort the hairline. 

Michael Sundine, MD

+1

The scarless Neck Lift Surgical Technique does not exist. Moreover, with so many different ways to address the sagging neck, each aimed at correcting different unwanted features of the aged neck, there is no ONE way to suggest to every person who may benefit from a neck lift.

The better way to go about neck lifting is to make a list of every feature you do not like about your neck and present it to one or more Plastic surgeons you see in consultation. Each such annoying feature has an anatomical cause and may be corrected with one or more surgical techniques. This would allow the surgeon to suggest the Neck Lift technique which would SPECIFICALLY correct your deformity with the least amount of scarring.