Should I have a neck lift prior to getting pregnant?

Hi, I am planning on having a neck lift with liposuction. I'm 38 yrs. old. I'm also planning on trying to get pregnant 5 months after the surgery. I am afraid the gaining weight from becoming pregnant would undo what the surgery did. My doctor told me as long as I only gain about 25 pounds, I should be fine. But friends and family say you can't be certain how much weight you gain and could gain up to 70 pounds. Suggestions?

Neck lift

+2
I am not going to comment on how much you can gain during pregnancy, but if you are planning to get pregnant this soon after surgery it is better to post pone your surgery for after pregnancy.

Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

+2
You cannot predict your weight gain with pregnancy and limiting yourself to 25 pounds may not be the best for your baby (or babies). At 38, pregnancy should probably take precedence over neck surgery. 

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1
Your best option is to wait until after the pregnancy when your weight has stabilized.  The result can be compromised by weight gain and loss with recurrent looseness of the skin.  

Susan D. Vasko, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Have your neck lift after you are done having children

+1
I disagree with the information that you have been provided with.  You are correct and a student to be concerned that weight gain and then lost during pregnancy will adversely effect the results of your neck lift and liposuction.

I understand your surgeon is desire to move ahead, however weight gain during pregnancy is rarely less than 30 pounds and in my opinion a sling of even 15 or 20 pounds could adversely affect your neck lift and liposuction results.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

I WOULD WAIT

+1
Good luck with your pregnancy.  Have a healthy baby and worry about your neck later. Large swings in weight can adversely affect your surgical outcome. 

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck lift and pregnancy

+1
You should be fine with lipo/neck lift before pregnancy but may want to consider waiting until after you are done with children for your best long term result due to weight fluctuations that naturally occur.  It really just depends on how much it bothers you.

Samer W. Cabbabe, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Neck left before or after getting pregnant

+1
 It is  acceptable to have a neck lift either prior to, or after your pregnancy. The pregnancy itself will not have any effect on the results of the procedure, as long as you come  back down to your original weight before you were pregnant. For many examples, please see the link below to our neck lift photo gallery

+1
Waiting seems to be reasonable given the timing.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of facelifts, necklifts, and facial procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Should I get a neck lift before pregnancy

+1
If you want to put yourself in the position for optimal results with the least amount of stress I would wait until the pregnancy is over. It's very difficult to predict how the body will respond to pregnancy. Chances are, doing the procedure before you get pregnant will not have a long term effect on your results. This is difficult to guarantee and, if the results don't last as long as you would have liked you may regret not waiting. Good luck to your future plans!

Todd C. Miller, MD

+1
I would recommend waiting until after your pregnancy to pursue either liposuction or liposuction with a necklift. You cannot predict how much pregnancy weight gain you will have. More likely than not, pregnancy will not interfere with the result of your neck procedure but you would be best off to wait until after the pregnancy when you've reached a stable weight and then consider moving forward with a procedure. You only want to do this once in your 30s. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon