Do I Need a Neck Lift for This? 16 Years Old

Im overweight and my neck has been buggin me, im not sure if weight loss can fix this. Any suggestions? It feels like if its extra skin and much fat,

What can I do with my neck

+2

By this you are probably concerned by the lack of neck definition; the nice tight jawline. Diet and exercise are the key here. You say that you are 16 years old so your body is still changing a lot. I see changes in the body throughout the teens and the 20's. You will definitely see improvement if you are disciplined in this. If, when you have seen a drop to your ideal weight and you still have that problem than you might consider liposuction of your neck. Avoid fad diets and and stick to a sustained change of lifestyle and dietary changes. Eat "clean". If there is a family pre-disposition towards a heavy neck, then this might make the surgeon more inclined to recommend lipo. Give it a couple of years and see what you need then.  Good luck!!

Facial rejuvenation in teenagers?

+2

While aesthetic procedures in young people are performed, sometimes for excellent reasons, "neck lifting" procedures would not usually be appropriate. At age 16-18 years old, the body is still developing in most people, and  "Nature's refinements" are on the way. Diet & patience are important. Liposuction can sometimes help when non-surgical methods are unsuccessful in reducing unwanted fat that lies beneath the skin. But it would be an extremely rare situation where actual surgery to tighten the neck would be a good idea in a young person. 

Donn R. Chatham, MD
Louisville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Surgery of the Neck / Submental Liposuction

+1
If in fact you are less than 30 or so years old, for most patients submental liposuction is a good technique for removing the excess fat/fullness under the chin region.    At this young age, your quite elastic skin will contract nicely,  However, you need to meet with a plastic surgeon with whom you feel comfortable.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck Lift at 16?

+1

At 16 years of age I can't imagine that anyone would need a neck lift procedure performed.  I agree that you have a little fullness to your neck, but I would recommend that you continue your weight loss program.  If that area continues to be problematic you may be a candidate for some liposuction of the neck. 

Michael Sundine, MD

Nonsurgical

+1

I would recommend nonsurgical methods first, which include diet and exercise. If not successful, in the future, you should seek a consultation with a plastic surgeon for recommendations. 

Frank Agullo, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Neck Lift in Teenagers

+1

There are many factors including excess fat, draping skin, and loose underlying muscles that can contribute to an aesthetically displeasing neck.  In younger patients, the most common culprit is excess fat. My first recommendation is to try nonsurgical methods to improve the contour of your jawline through diet and exercise. Once you have reached your ideal body weight, if there is still excess fat, liposuction can be performed to achieve the "chiseled" jawline that most patients are looking for. For older patients, the problem is usually multifactorial and requires a combination of liposuction, muscle tightening and skin redraping to achieve a natural rejuvenated neck. 

Scott Farber, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Neck lift at 16?

+1

Thanks very much for your question.  You should not have a neck lift.  A neck lift is a surgery for someone 40 years older than you.  I agree with another surgeon that the best thing you could do at this point is make changes through diet and exercise, not through plastic surgery.

Shaun Parson, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Options for neck at age 16

+1

You definitely don't need a neck lift.  You may possibly (hard to say without better photos) benefit from a chin implant as that can make the jaw-neck angle appear more defined.

Sam Naficy, MD

Improving the shape of the neck in younger patients

+1

Thanks very much for the question and photos. At your age, you should focus on shedding the extra pounds to get down to your ideal weight. Correction of your lifestyle habits (exercise and diet) is really important for your overall health and will improve your appearance as well. At 16, this is a much better option than surgery.

Once you get down to your ideal weight, if you still feel like you have extra fullness under the chin (submental liposis) over the next few years, liposuction of the neck could be appropriate. Generally younger patients have excellent skin elasticity, meaning that the skin tightens up when the excess fat is removed from underneath it. This is a 45-60 minute procedure under light IV sedation, done through two tiny 3 mm incisions under the chin. A neck lift, tightening of the muscle and skin of the neck, is reserved for older patients who, over time, develop loose skin and muscle in the neck and jowls.

Best regards,

Dr. Mehta

Umang Mehta, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Most importantly, you do NOT need a necklift. I recommend that you reach a weight that you are happy with. That might take 6-12 months. Once you're at your chosen weight, you can seek a consultation with a Facial Plastic Surgeon along with your parents (they'll need to be involved in the process). If anything, a conservative amount of liposuction can be performed to improve the neckline. At 16 years old, this should be the most invasive procedure you consider. Anything more invasive should be delayed for 25-30 years until you actually need it. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon