Still Have Crepey Skin After Neck Lift

I am just about 3 weeks post op from a neck lift (and lower jaw area) with platysmaplasty. I have several concerns but one of my main concerns is the skin in the center of my neck has lots of new creppy looking lines. It is still a little swollen and in fact I had steriods shot into it last week. I'm thinking that when the swelling goes down that it will be even worse? What can be done for this and what could have caused the skin to crepe like that "after" surgery?

Crepy skin after neck lift

+2

The skin may improve with time, but sometimes, liposuction is done on the neck along with a neck lift and the liposuction can create verticallly oriented lines. Lifting procedures help produce a more youthful contour but resurfacing helps improve the skin texture especially from chronic sundamage. That's why it is so helpful in my practice that we have both plastic surgeons and a full menu of lasers for the dermatologic surgeon. The patient can get the "whole picture" addressed.

3 weeks post neck lift

+1

At three weeks post a neck lift you probably still have alot of swelling.  I would give it time to settle down.

Causes of crepey skin after neck lift.

+1

The number of one cause of crepey skin after neck lift is:

1) crepey skin BEFORE neck lift

solar elastosis (sun damage), smoking, age, loss of elasticity, etc

2) possible small hematoma or seroma

You may require a more extensive neck lift to eliminate redundant skin if it persists.

Skin texture after a face or neck lift can be improved with Thermage

+1

There are a lot of ways to combat the signs of aging these days.  In order to understand what to use we have to understand how and why we age.  Traditional face or neck lifts can help with the laxity that we develop with time due to loss of collagen and elastin, as well as loss of our facial framework including bone loss, cartilage and fat loss in the face.  

Unfortunately, surgical lifts do not address textural change or pigment change due to sun damage and time.  Options to address this crepiness and pigment damage include skin care, peels, non ablative fractional resurfacing such as Fraxel, ablative resurfacing such as CO2 or erbium lasers or the no downtime procedure called Thermage, which helps to tighten skin laxity and can improve crepiness by stimulating collagen production.  Talk with your doctor about what options are best for you.

Mona Salem Foad, MD
Cincinnati Dermatologist

A Neck Lift Lifts and Removes Sagging Skin

+1

A Neck Lift lifts and removes sagging skin, repositioning it and the deeper structures in higher more youthful positions. A neck lift does repositions but does NOT change the quality of the skin (For this reason, tanning (be it sun or salon) is a "gift" that keeps on giving. While you may look great for a few weeks, it destroys the skin elasticity forever). When things heal, you may want to look into the use of Sciton's SKINTYTE outpatient treatment. It will bring about some skin thickening.