How Long Before Neck Lift Stitches Are Dissolved?

I had Neck Lift and Blepharoplasty, and I've been on 3 different types of antibiotics for 30 days due to a swollen stich in my lower jaw area. It's still red, swollen, and bruised. It's not necessarily painful because I am numb. I'm afraid that my body won't dissolve the stitch and it will poke through. How long does it take for a stitch to be dissolved in the body?

Neck lift suture irritation

+1

If this is a superficial stitch, I usually try to remove them when they become irritated.  If it is a deep stitch in the muscle, holding the muscles together that were tightenend, than a prolonged course of antibioitics may be the best solution.  This needs to be clarified and discussed with your surgeon.  Make sure you are seeing a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Samer W. Cabbabe, M.D.

Board - Certified Plastic Surgeon

St. Louis Plastic Surgery Consultants

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Neck Stitches After Surgery

+1

I would agree with the other physicians who suggest talking with your surgeon. There are several types of stitches which can be used - some which dissolve and others which do not. Being on a month of antibiotics is a bit unusual for a simple stitch abscess and without knowing what was done, it is impossible to suggest what your best course of action in treatment might be.

Web reference: http://innovationsfps.com

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck lift Stitch Abscess

+1

Regarding: "I had Neck Lift and Blepharoplasty, and I've been on 3 different types of antibiotics for 30 days due to a swollen stich in my lower jaw area. It's still red, swollen, and bruised. It's not necessarily painful because I am numb. I'm afraid that my body won't dissolve the stitch and it will poke through. How long does it take for a stitch to be dissolved in the body"

There are several techniques of Neck Lifting, the most common of which involves stitching the superficial neck muscle in the midline and then pulling up and to the sides on the sides of the muscle behind the ear and stitching it near a bony prominence right behind the ear. The stitching is done with either dissolving or permanent stitches or a combination of both. Usually the side stitches are permanent.

Your situation is extremely uncommon. I have never heard of anyone treating a ?stitch abscess with a month of antibiotics. If not removed, these stitches usually make their way to the surface as a small ulcer. It can then be removed very easily.

Dissolving stitches can last from 4 weeks to 5 months but the permanent stitches last forever. You really need to get more answers from your surgeon.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Stitch abscess?

+1

It is unclear what type of sutures that you have in your neck.  A month of antibiotics sounds unusual. I would contact your surgeon and follow-up.

Redness and recovery after a neck lift

+1

This is a difficult question as there are two different types of sutures placed during a neck lift.  If the sutures are absorbable, they should dissolve within 6 months.  Permanent sutures may remain for the rest of your life. Discuss the surgery with your plastic surgeon. 

Depends on the type of stitches

+1

If the stitch in the lower jaw area is still red, swollen, and bruised it will need to be removed. It may be a permanent stitch and not a dissolvable stitch. Stitch abscesses are best treated by local removal and the inflammation subsides. If not addressed, they can poke through the skin, which needs to be addressed.

Not all stitches dissolve

+1

Sutures used in neck lift procedure may me permanent sutures so the dissolving issue may not apply to your question.  If your sutures dissolve the usual time frame can be 1 to 6 months or so for the most common dissolvable sutures.

Youngstown Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stitches serve many purposes

+1

Some stitches are permanent, others are temporary. The temporary ones can dissolve over time depending on the type of stitch used. Some will last as little as 5 days, while others will last up to 6 months.

The dissolvable stitches can create a local inflammatory reaction that causes the stitches to be pushed through the skin--something we call spitting a stitch. Permanent stitches don't cause the same spitting, but can harbor infection. If this is the case, then the only good treatment s removal of the sticthes.

Discuss this with your doctor.

Ask your surgeon about the stitches used in your lift

+1

You really need to ask your surgeon this question:

There are stitches that last anywhere from 5 days up to forever. These are all used in facial plastic surgery and typically many different types are used on the same paitent.

Those stitches may not dissolve on their own.

+1

Terrianne

I practice in West Los Angeles. Each and everyone of my patient's sign a consent that among other things tells them that they must call me for any issue after surgery and to expect that I will want to see them personally if they are having an issue. I would much rather see someone for something that turns out to be nothing than miss something important.

The issue you are having warrants being seen by your surgeon.

Regarding when the suture is likely to dissolve, this very much depends. I typically use permanent stitches to support the neck rather than dissolvable sutures. Any suture material can become a source for inflammation and need to be removed, dissolvable or not. So please don't wait to see if the stitch is going to dissolve on its own. A stitch abscess warrants the removal of the offending suture material.

Please call your surgeon and have this handled.