When Can I Get a Neck Lift After Smart Lipo MPX?

Eight weeks ago I had smartlipo mpx that included removeing 80cc of fat from my chin and neck. So far, I see a little improvement in my chin but my turkey neck has not changed. From what I understand now, smartlipo was a bad choice for my situation. My jowling is so minimal I wonder how the more severe cases I see photos of turn out so good. My question is, when do you think it is safe to have a traditional neck lift?

Neck lift after smart lipo can be done as soon as 3 months

+4

Neck lift after smart lipo can be done as soon as 3 months but the standard that many follow is 6 months. This is the standard for most all revisions.  6 months allow the tissues to heal.  Prior to this, you can have friable tissue that will bleed more and could lead to more difficult surgery.  Also the 6 month standard allows the person to see more of the final result.  Some people do revisions earlier and as early as 3 months with those risks in mind.  Smart lipo can remove the neck fat and do some tightening, but will not replace what can be done with a traditional neck lift. I like to do my neck lifts using techinques that I developed based on over 1200 neck and facelifts.  I have learned that a lot of what is taught to surgeons doesn't lead to the best results.  You should go to someone that has a lot of experience doing neck lifts.  Many surgeons take short cuts for many different reasons that don't benefit you.  A well done neck lift will take up to 3-4 hours to really get right.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift after smart lipo may be more risky

+3

You should wait at least 6 months after smart lipo to undergo any surgery in the neck area.  Even after 6 month, prolonged swelling (such as lymphedema) can develop due to a changes in lymphatic drainage pathways.  This is clearly reported in the literature.  Please be careful about the other answers given as they may not be familiar with current literature. 

Kevin Ende, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Timing a Do-Over - a Neck Lift after an ineffective SmartLipo Neck Treatment

+3
I would wait a few months for all inflammation and swelling to subside before considering a surgical procedure on the same area. As you know, laser liposuction heats, some say cooks, the fat under the skin along with blood vessels and nerves in it. I would prefer to have everything resolve to the new resting state before deciding which Neck Lift to do and definitely before doing it.

Neck lift after Smart Lipo

+2

It is probably acceptable to undergo a face or neck lift two months after your Smart Lipo. It is important to make sure that your neck is now soft and supple, not hard, woody or fibrotic prior to undergoing a neck lift. Before undergoing any neck surgical procedure allow full healing from the Smart Lipo to take place.  

Neck lift after neck liposuction

+2

It would be prudent to wait up to about six months to allow for maximal contraction and best result prior to undergoing further surgery with a neck lift after neck liposuction. This way, the plastic surgeon will have a better idea as to the areas that need changing rather than guessing as to what the skin will do in the next few months as it continues to heal.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Timing of Neck Lift after Smartlipo

+2

For patients with full necks, but minimally loose skin, Smartlipo is a good choice for defining the jawline and thinning the neck.  For patients with loose skin, the only real option is a lower facelift for neck lift.  Since you just had surgery, it would be best to wait 2-3 months for all of the inflammation and swelling to resolve and the tissues to settle.  Good luck with your surgery.

David Shafer, MD

Neck lift after smart lipo

+1

If you just had smart lipo on yoru neck 8 weeks ago, then I would wait a few more months before undergoing a formal neck lift.