Neck/chin Lump 2 Months Post Face-lift? Felt Pop After Sneezing Attack

I'm 2 months post face-lift and have a lump in my chin/neck area that my surgeon 1st said was pooling blood and later said was a salivary gland. There was no gland there before and during a sneezing fit shortly after bandages were removed I felt something snap/pop in that area. Any ideas what might have happened? Also, I am concerned that this could be cancerous and while my surgeon has advised me to wait, I fear that if it is something bad a delay would not be a good thing. Any advice?

Difficult to say, but!

+1

A face lift and neck life requires a significant amount of deep sutures.  A coughing fit may have caused one to pop which could be very insignificant. The lump you describe as possibly a gland is usually not seen well before the facelift is performed because the skin is loose. However,when all the tissue layers become tighter, the gland can become more obvious .  Surgery doesn't change this unless they are partially removed which is very controversial .

Neck/chin Lump 2 Months Post Face-lift

+1

It is very difficult to answer your question without seeing you in person and examining you - please follow up with your surgeon or seek another opinion

Sam Naficy, MD

Lump in Neck after Facelift

+1

Without examinating you and touching the area of concern, it is difficult to judge what exactly is going on.

A localized blood collection will get better over 2 months.
A hanging salivary gland (a.k.a. submandibular gland) feels commonly similar to a large but soft grape. Your surgeon has the benefit of knowing what he has done surgically and how your progressed during your recovery.

He would also initiate the correct referral if your surgeon would be concerned about a malignancy.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lumps After Facelift

+1

As other surgeons have pointed out, without an examination, there is no way to accurately answer your question. In general, it is not unusual to have lumps and bumps which take several months to resolve after any surgical procedure. If you are concerned about a cancer, talk with your surgeon about ordering some type of imaging study or biopsy to allay your fears.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

I have performed Face and Neck Lifts for over 20 years and IMHO, the popping sound and feel could be a blood vessel opening up from the increased pressure of you sneezing, especially if you didn't keep yopur mouth open during the sneeze.  A typical sneeze will increase the blood pressure in the face and this could result in bleeding under the face lift skin flap.  Blood trapped in this layer is very irritating to the skin and can cause localised lumps and bumps for months.  The good news is that this typically resolves on its own by 6 months.

Neck/chin lump after face-lift

+1

I agree with your doctor.  RELAX.  The chances of cancer are extraordinarily remote and the risks of waiting for improvement are analogous to the likelihood of being struck by lightning.  Give yourself a few more months to hea.l Only if it persists at its current size at 6 months should you consider further tests, in my opinion.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lump after facelift

+1

Both swelling that has not resolved as well as prominent salivary glands are plausible explanations. Follow your surgeons advice. If you need peace of mind regarding "new lumps" and possible other disease then have your primary doctor order an imaging procedure for you.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck contouring with facelifts, swelling in neck after coughing

+1

Please understand that any opinion offered is not very accurate without examining you as a patient.  If you noted this shortly after the surgery, as well as following a sneezing episode, the possibilities could be the development of a bruise or local hematoma or seroma, there could be  swelling in an isolated blood vessel, there could be noted  prominence to a salivary gland in the neck, which may be more noticeable after a neck lift with a facelift.  This would have been fairly noted after the surgery, however, because once the neck is contoured with firmer muscle contouring with a reduction in the neck fat the gland may be more evident.

Good luck.

Francis (Frank) William Rieger, MD

At two months a lump is usually resolving blood in a small area of the neck

+1

If the area is very dense, a small amount of cortisone into the lump can help resolve the area more quickly.

Lumps after facelift-necklifts are not so unusual.

Almost all resolve with time unless they actually are part of the submandibular gland which can be revealed by defatting and suction of the neck.

Dr. Mayl

Fort Lauderdale

Nathan Mayl, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

That pop may or may not have had anything to do with your lump.

+1

A new lump right after a facelift is most likely related to the procedue until proven otherwise.  I get the sense that you and your surgeon are not really communicating.  I agree you need to discuss with your surgeon your concerns that the lump may be cancer.  For peace of mind, you may decide to have this worked up.  I should tell you that two months after the facelift is when the neck will be the firmest and most lumpy.  I a couple of more months, this lumpy firmness improved and the neck fat generally returns to it presurgical consistency.