Neck and Chin Lipo Without the Resulting Loose Skin

Is 42 too old to have chin and neck Liposuction without ending up with a sagging skin? My skin is in good shape for my age, and I have always had this fat deposit in my neck and chin area, no matter how thin I am. I am just concerned about having too much loose skin after the procedure.

The older the patient the more likely liposuction of the chin will result in loose skin.

+2

From your picture and your stated age, I would guess that you will have at least a little loose skin after liposuction.  Laser assisted lipo might help a bit but I remain skeptical of this technology.

You look like a neck lift candidate.

+2

You look like you have a fair amount of excess skin for lipo alone. Get a few consultations with qualified doctors who do both to get your best opinions.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction of the neck

+2

Liposuction of the neck can be very successful in many individuals. You are very perceptive to be concerned about skin retraction. It already looks like the skin is a bit loose and it  may not spring back.  You may need a neck lift as well. This certainly can be staged if you want to avoid the additional incisions.

Jawline and neck liposuction should make a dramatic difference for you.

+2

Liposuction under local anesthesia with the micro canulas should make a dramatic difference for you and is easy to undergo for roughly $3000.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

You will have some loose skin with liposuction only.

+2

Your skin is loose now and if fat only is removed, you will have more. Having said that, I find that some patients are very satisfied with that because their expectations are less than mine. So you have to decide if that will satisfy you, not the surgeon.  

Neck lipo vs. platysmaplasty vs. other procedures

+2

Liposuction alone would in my opinion give you a modest result, even if done with the laser. Liposuction alone by any technique does nothing to tighten the platysma.

Your platysma looks loose.

There are several platysmaplasty procedures available, procedures that tighten the platysma muscle. We prefer the Neck-Lace procedure, a wide interlacing procedure that avoids the central banding of the corset platysmaplasty.

For your very best result, it may be advisable to consider a facelift along with a Neck-Lace.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Smart Lipo can provide additional neck tightening

+1

Liposuction generally can give very pleasing results in the chin and neck area. We often will supplement this with laser tightening (Smart Lipo). Evaluation by your surgeon will help determine if liposuction is a reasonable option for your chin and neck. 

Christopher J. Peers, MD
South Bend Facial Plastic Surgeon

I have seen significant skin tightening from liposuction alone

+1

The neck is an area where I have seen reasonable skin tightening from liposuction alone even in patients who I wouldn't have thought would get such a good response. Follow the link below to see a few examples.

Lawrence A. Osman, MD
Woodland Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Chin and Neck Liposuction

+1

Liposuction is a very effective means to remove disproportionate fatty deposits along the neck and under the chin. The best results are when the overlying skin is tone, then you expect a degree of skin retraction. Good skin tone is common the younger you are, or can be related to genetics. In your 40's the skin retraction can be less predictable. If you realize that your contours will be improved with liposuction, and you don't expect complete skin retraction, you will be pleased with your results. You may have some mild residual skin looseness under the chin area as a result of the procedure. I have treated this area in many patients in your age range without doing a face or neck lift and have always had good results.  The results can vary however, and without being able to actually see and feel your skin, it is hard to be more specific than that. You need to have realistic expectations, results can be subtle. if you want to see a skin-smoothing or tightening effect, a neck lift or lower facelift in conjunction with liposuction may give you more dramatic results.

Hayley Brown, MD

Neck liposuction without getting loose skin

+1

Neck liposuction can create dramatic change in the neck contour.  As you pointed out the issue is not to get loose hanging skin.  Based on your photo I believe a skilled surgeon can achieve significant improvement in your neck contour without getting droopy skin.  The technique would involve either laser or ultrasound instrumentation to manage the skin, and careful and deliberate liposuction removal of deep (sub-platysmal) fat layer.

Boris M. Ackerman, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon