Neck bruise and swelling after Facelift?

i had faclift 2wks ago. my neck was normal swolen and going down. Now it swelled again on one side with big lumps/bumps and create a discomfort. is this normal?

Painful Lumps/Bumps 2 weeks Following Facelift

+2

It is possible, although quite rare, to get a new collection of blood (hematoma) 2 weeks out from surgery. However, this would most likely be due to a high-pressure arterial bleed that would be quite painful. So I doubt that this is what's happening. A photograph would be extremely helpful in this case, since without a visual, we are playing the probabilities more and guessing more. We can be much more helpful and accurate with our opinions with a photograph.

Chances are more likely, with the description given, that you are experiencing normal contour irregularities that are more evident as swelling goes down. These can be due to pockets of fat, resolving small hematomas, puckering due to suture placement, even collections of saliva from a leaking saliva gland. Without a photograph and more information, it's hard to tell which. The most important thing to do, however, is keep in close contact with your surgeon and his/her clinic and inform them (ideally face-to-face) of what you are experiencing.

Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Recurrence of swelling after initial resolution might require drainage.

+2
  • It is impossible for me to make a diagnosis but there is a possibility of fluid collection that should be drained. You should visit your surgeon.

Neck Swelling Bruising New 2 Weeks After Facelift, See Surgeon

+1

Thank you for your question. Photographs would be helpful.

That said after 2 weeks of normal recovery after a facelift, the appearance of new swelling, lumps or bruising could suggest that you have had bleeding or a hematoma.

Please see your surgeon immediately.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Neck Swelling after facelift

+1

You need to see your plastic surgeon right away. I schedule many post-operative appointments within the first month, but anytime a patient has a concern, I want to see them right away. A small issue can turn into a more significant issue if not addressed early

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Swelling After Facelift

+1

An exam is needed to answer this question. You may need drainage. It is best to visit your surgeon.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Late Swelling after facelift

+1

It is not unusual to have some daily variations in the post-op swelling after a face and neck lift. However, if it is only on one side and fairly pronounced, you need to see your surgeon. A hematoma would be very unusual this far out, but you may have a seroma which is an accumulation of fluid. You may also be having a reaction to the deep sutures.

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Swelling After Facelift

+1

I think the most appropriate recommendation anyone can make is that you return to see your Surgeon about this issue. Some degree of swelling 2 weeks after a Facelift is not unusual. Healing by patient after a surgical procedure is not uniform, but instead fits into the variability of the Bell curve.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after a facelift is normal

+1

There is extensive swelling and bruising after a facelift procedure which may take up to 6 months to totally resolve. Just to make sure you do not have a hematoma (collection of blood under the skin) I would visit with your surgeon.

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon