Neck Lift to Correct Platysma Band, 4 Years Later Submental Platysmaplasty Resulted in Horrible Double Chin? (photo)

Had a necklift to correct platysma band which slightly helped... 4 years later it still bothered me and doctor suggested submental platysmaplasty which resulted in a HORRIBLE double chin and tight muscle from under chin to lower neck. I now have what looks like a double chin and lots of loose skin under chin... also rippling at jawline... what can be done at this point? I look and feel horrible and have done other things that I am pleased with but neck detraccts severely

Necklift/Platysmaplasty Complications

+2

It is somewhat difficult to diagnose your problem without pictures.  What it appears you are describing is excess submental fullness with tethering of the neck skin.  This is generally caused by 1. Over tightening of the platysma muscles at midline.  2.  Lack of complete elevation of the neck skin from the platysma and underlying tissues.  Overly tightening the bands can leave a visible contour deformity which can resemble a lump or ridge in the center of the neck.  Lack of fully elevating the neck skin does not allow the skin to smoothly drape over the newly tightened muscles....leading to rippling and the appearance of loose skin.  I suggest you follow up with a board certified surgeon who specializes in facial rejuvenation and have your condition evaluated.  Good Luck!

Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck Lift to Correct Platysma Band, 4 Years Later Submental Platysmaplasty Resulted in Horrible Double Chin?

+1

If this is skin laxity, a lower face and neck lift will give the smoothest appearance.

Residual deformity 4 years after neck lift. Can it be corrected.

+1

You need to be examined to find out if the problem under your chin is caused by the skin laxity or if there is a midline platisma band that is causing the problem. In either case it can be corrected by an approach from under the chin. It is possible that another lower facelift might be necessary.

Farhad Rafizadeh, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Loose skin after necklift

+1

It sounds like you will need another neck lift if you have "lots of loose skin" under your chin still. Seeing some pictures would be helpful to give you a better idea of what would be necessary to correct your problem.

Best of luck to you.

David Cangello, MD

Necklift to correct platysma bands.

+1

Usually a neck lift is necessary  to correct the type of double chin problem you are having. I need to see better photographs to give you a more definitive answer.