Neck Arteries Blockage - Can I Still Have Liposuction?

I have neck blockage left 60% and right 70% could I still have a stomach and chin liposuction done. I am 65 years old do have BP high and cholestertol high.

Carotid stenosis and liposuction

+2

I would avoid liposuction if you have significant carotid stenosis.  Doesn't sound like the risks/rewards ratio is there.

Liposuction with peripheral vascular disease

+2

Given the high degree of arterial blockage in your neck, even if your doctor says you are cleared, I would not consider the risk a good one, and you should not have liposuction. Consider the downside, as we are not talking about infection or skin dents, but stroke and permanent disability or worse. No.

peterejohnsonmd

Liposuction and Medical Risks

+2

Liposuction is a great surgery, and one with one of the quickest recoveries.  However, it is not without associated risks.  Carotid stenosis - or narrowing of the neck arteries - is a real risk for stroke over time, especially in the setting of high blood pressure. General anesthesia causes a temporary drop in the blood pressure which limits the flow of blood through the narrowed artery.  Limited blood flow to the brain can lead to a stroke or permanent injury.

No cosmetic surgery is worth a permanent problem.

There are options such as performing this procedure under local anesthesia, but this normally will require a full medical clearance prior to proceeding to ensure that you are at your optimal medical state. If your physician feels you need additional interventions, these should be performed before you proceed with surgery - not after.

You should be open with your doctors and come to a conclusion after you undergo a complete medical evaluation.

Best of luck

Vincent Marin, MD, FACS

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Liposuction with Carotid artery Disease?

+1

No, I would suggest that you stay away from elective surgery  based on your description of medical problems and carotid artery obstruction. You may be much better served with a carefully planned diet and exercise program.

Liposuction with neck arterial blockage

+1

The first thing we learn in medical school is "do no harm". Nowhere is this more true than in elective surgery.At 65 with high blood pressure, arterial blockage and high cholesterol, you are in an elevated risk category. You should have a complete medical evaluation and clearance prior to even contemplating surgery. Safety is number one in our office and We would insist that you undergo a complete heart and vascular evaluation prior to talking about liposuction of the abdomen, which is a significant operation. Good Luck and be careful.

Johan E. Brahme, MD

Liposuction may be contraindicated in those with high blood pressure and hardening of the arteries

+1

Even if you had surgical correction of the blockages in the carotid arteries in the neck, this is representative of what could be occurring in other blood vessels. Tumescent anesthetic  needs to be delviered in liposuction and has adrenaline which can stress your heart. If there is not enough oxygen that gets to your heart because of a lack of blood flow through the arteries that supply the heart of oxygenated blood, and the heart is stressed due to the adrenaline in the local anesthetic, then you may suffer a heart attack, and/or a stroke.  You would need to have a formal medical clearance but even if your internist or primary cae physician approved the surgery, there would still be risk!

Ronald Shelton, MD

Consider having your carotid artery disease addressed

+1

It would be reasonable to have your neck artery disease evaluated for correction. Then any other surgery you might consider could be done at lower risk.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon