Neck and Face Getting Becoming More Numb and Tight 7 Months After Face Lift, Why is This?

I had a face lift over 7 months ago. As time passes my neck , jaw line and area behind ears is becoming increasingly tight and numb-- noose like felling in neck and doughy like sensation in jaw area. What would cause this? I have some neck banding that PS says is caused by sutures which need to be snipped during a revision procedure. I had a quick and easy recovery from my face lift with little discomfort. The sensations have gotten much worse lately. I also have tiny lumps and dents in my neck

Tightness 7 Months after Facelift

+3

Tightness tends to get better after a facelift, not worse. However, it is possible that a permanent suture is contributing to this. Ask your surgeon about the sutures and if removing them would help.

Ohio Plastic Surgeon

Increasing numbness and tightness over time

+2

This is not a normal scenario.  Both numbness and tightness typically improve over time not worsen. Please follow up with your surgeon

Sam Naficy, MD

Face & Nec k Becoming Tighter 7 Months Post Facelift

+2

Tightness should be decreasing, not increasing 7 months after your facelift. The tightness, discomfort,and surface irregularity all may be caused by the sutures your surgeon wants to cut or secondary to underlying scar tissue.  I would follow your surgeon's advice.

+1

Not sure why the symptoms would be increasing at 7 months post Face Lift and you should ask the plastic and cosmetic surgeon that did your Face Lift these questions.  These issues are why minimal incision Face Lifts, with limited dissection and quick recovery times has become so popular.  I have performed Face and Neck Lifts for over 20 years and compression of the greater auricular nerve would, IMHO, happen imeediately after the surgery and would not wprsen at 7 months post-op unless you have a suspension suture crossing the entire neck from side to side in which case the suture could be eroding through the tissues and contacting the nerve. 

You may be experiencing compression of the great auricular nerve.

+1

The supporting suture for the platysmaplasty is likely contributing to this.  If your surgeon feels that opening the neck and releasing this suture will relieve this compression, I would recommend that you do this.  There is very little down side to this.

Tightness and numbness after facelift

+1

Usually the tightness and numbness is improving after 7 months.  You may be developing some scar contracture.  Discuss this with your plastic surgeon.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD