Weight Loss Before Tummy Tuck

I am 5 foot 3 and weigh 130 pounds. Would I have to lose weight to get a Tummy Tuck? I have a pouch for a belly and with stretch marks. I also have stretch mars on the belly button.

Tummy tuck results

+2

Thank you for the question. I think it would be in your best interest to drop weight (to where you want to be long term) prior to surgery. This will allow you to achieve the best result possible. It will also minimize  the chances that you will need further surgery (for example if you were to lose weight after the procedure further surgery may be necessary).

You should be aware however that often an “extended” tummy tuck is necessary to treat the muffin top area. This extended tummy tuck procedure involves flank and back skin and adipose tissue excision as well as liposuction surgery. If liposuction alone is done the patient may still end up with the muffin top and require further surgery to improve the waistline in the future.

Make sure you're working with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon. Best wishes.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_tummytuck.htm

You can be overweight and benefit by a tummy tuck.

+2

Hi!

I find myself repeating this point over and over.  You can be overweight and get a great result with a tummy tuck.

You will still be overweight afterwards, but you will have a flat stomach.  And a flat stomach can really motivate you to lose weight!

Tummy Tuck

+1

You will likely benefit from a tummy tuck +/- lipo of your waist to help significantly improve the appearance of your tummy.   The tummy tuck not only removes any excess skin and fat in the lower portion of your abdomen, it also tightens up the muscles that were stretched out from your multiple pregnancies.   Please see a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your options.  Best of luck!
Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Web reference: http://www.basuplasticsurgery.com

Weight Loss Before Tummy Tuck

+1

You will want to close to or at your long term stable weight for optimal results and lower the probability of revision surgery.

Tummy tuck and Ideal Body Weight

+1

It all depends on if you are happy at the weight you are. If you tell me that you want to lose 20 lbs then I would say you should wait lose your weight and then have your tummy tuck. But if you are content and happy at the weight you are then it is not an issue.

It is only an issue if a patient is trying to lose a significant amount of weight and they get their tummy tuck done before they lose all the weight they were planning to.

Hope that helps.

Web reference: http://www.feplasticsurgery.com/orange-county-tummy-tuck-newport-beach.php

More important to reach a STABLE reasonable weight prior to tummy tuck

+1

You are technically overweight but at a reasonable weight for a tummy tuck. In my experience, a more important factor is if you are at a STABLE weight. IF you plan on either losing or gaining weight after the surgery, then I would reconsider.

Tummy tuck options

+1

There are several varieties of tummy tucks, ranging from liposuction with a mini-tuck to a full, traditional abdominoplasty. It's difficult to tell what's the best for you without seeing photos. Talk with your plastic surgeon about the best version that fits your needs. Also, stretch marks below your belly button will most likely be removed, but the ones above it will most likely stay. Check out some before and after photos before visiting your plastic surgeon to get an idea of what a tummy tuck can do for you. Good luck!

Web reference: http://www.DrSchreiberPlasticSurgery.com

Not obligatory to lose weight before Tummy Tuck

+1

No. It is not obligatory that one lose weight before an abdominoplasty IF you are not overweight. In my opinion, demanding indiscriminate draconian weight loss from all patients only shifts baseless guilt and stress to the patient without a corresponding increase in better results nor surgical safety.

At 5'3" and 130 pounds ,you have a BMI of 23.

At a BMI of 23, it sounds like you are an IDEAL candidate (everything else checking out) for an abdominoplasty procedure and I would NOT ask you to lose weight. No point in doing so in your case.

Good Luck.

Lose weight before a tummy tuck if you can

+1

If you have a weight goal that you plan to reach there is no reason to put off the plans until after tummy tuck, and it is hard to imagine a surgeon who would discourage you in your effort. It is important, however, that you set a goal that is realistic, and set a time table long enough for success. There are several reasons for reaching your weight goals beside the personal satisfaction of the achievement. Skin laxity may become more apparent after the weight loss making your tummy tuck more effective at correcting the loose skin and stretch marks. You also will achieve a better level of fitness which can contribute to a faster recovery.

Weight loss is a win situation all around. Just keep the goal real, an 'ideal' weight that you can maintain throughout, and exercise be it running, swimming, or yoga something that you too can enjoy for a life time.

peterejohnsonmd

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com/tummy-tuck

Weight loss before tummy tuck

+1

The best time for a tummy tuck is when you are at a stable weight, which should close to your ideal weight. More important than the actual number though is the distribution of your weight. Some patients carry a significant portion of their weight intra-abdominally, meaning they have deeper fat on the "inside", this type of fat does not respond to lipo or tummy tuck. These types of patients would benefit from weight loss prior to tummy tuck in order to have a more natural contour and result.

Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon prior to scheduling your tummy tuck.

Dr. Bruno