My nose had been broken from the age of about three. Are These Results Achievable? (photo)

My nose had been broken from the age of about three, it's not huge but it's wonky and needs sides shaving down and more definition. i really like lindsey lohan's nose (though i don't want or expect to look like her), but don't know if i'm being unrealistic. Is this possible to repair and change my nose this much, even if it makes me look like a completely different person? Thanks!

Are these results achievable?

+2

There are options available to improve the appearance of your nose. Ideally, the final outcome is a natural looking result that complements your face and enhances your facial features. There are many techniques now that make it possible to obtain a natural outcome, and it is essential that you choose an experienced and board certified specialist to perform the surgery. Computer imaging software is a fantastic tool that allows the surgeon to morph a photo and give you an idea of how the final result of surgery may appear. It also serves as a fantastic communication tool between you and your prospective surgeon. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Rhinoplasty expectations

+2

Hello 'Matilda24', thanks for your question.  A cosmetic rhinoplasty is one of the more challenging procedures performed in plastic surgery because there are so many different and inter-related factors that affect the final result.  Rather than dealing with just soft tissue as in a facelift or breast augmentation, a rhinoplasty also entails trimming and sculpting the underlying bone and cartilage support framework.  In addition, the thickness of the nasal skin varies considerably based on genetics, gender, and ethnic background, which also affects the final results.  Having a history of a traumatic nasal fracture can also complicate matters due to altered anatomy and scar tissue from your prior injury.  For these reasons, I explain to my patients that although I can improve upon their concerns, I cannot guarantee a perfect result, especially if they come in bringing a picture of a model or celebrity.  That being said, as long as you have realistic expectations and goals, you should achieve a significant improvement with a cosmetic rhinoplasty procedure.  Although your photo is a bit hazy and does not reveal your nasal profile and 3-D structure, a rhinoplasty can remove a dorsal hump, refine a boxy tip, straighten a deviated septum, and narrow a wide dorsum.  Be sure to seek consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon who can perform a more thorough physical exam and go through the options with you in more detail.  Good luck! -Dr.92660

Parviz Goshtasby, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Goals

+2

Thank you for the question and your photo. This brings up a very important topic, and one that must be covered in your consultation. Your specific aesthetic goals and specific soft tissue characteristics will determine the approach that you select with your rhinoplasty expert. Based on the photos alone, it seems that you are interested in reducing the size or bulbosity of your tip, and narrowing the middle portion of your nose. These are both achievable results. Again, every nose is different, but after you have met a few good, qualified surgeons, I'm sure you will find the best path for you.

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Realistic goals fro rhinoplasty?

+2

Thanks for your question and photo to review. Yes, I think you should be able to get results that resemble the photo you sent. Your tip is bulbous and the rest of your nose could be narrowed safely. Go get some consults and find the rhinoplasty surgeon that you feel most comfortable with. Good luck.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Rhinoplasty for "Wonky" Nose

+1

A well done rhinoplasty can improve a "wonky" nose. You should have a conservative procedure that will refine your nose and accentuate your positive features without making you look like a different person.

Rhinoplasty may improve your appearance

+1

Rhinoplasty has the potential to improve the aesthetic appearance of the nose. It is important for you to have computer imaging of your nose to show you what can realistically be obtained.

Robert Mounsey, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Are these results achievable?

+1

you certainly could get nice refinement to your tip and bridge with rhinoplasty. I think it would be best for you to have a consult with computer imaging so you could see how these changes look on your face and not picture someone else's in your mind. If what you see pleases you then you will feel good about going forward.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bulbous tip a wide nose

+1

A rhinoplasty would be required to reduce the bulbous  tip  and narrow the bridge line. Tip suturing techniques and a conservative removal of tip cartilage would be required to refine the tip and reduce the bulbousness.  Osteotomies are  required to narrow the nasal bones and corresponding upper lateral cartilages. Any other  adjustments along the  dorsum could be done as well. 

Rhinoplasty result

+1

WIthout an exam in person, it is very difficult to say what could be achieved for you.  More definition is probably possible.

#rhinoplasty results

+1

From your photo, it appears that you would be a good candidate for a rhinoplasty. However, it is impossible to get "someone else's nose." I think imaging in a consultation would be very helpful to establish operative goals to help you communicate with your surgeon. Your surgeon, must also feel comfortable that the results are achievable in surgery. 

You should see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to get a formal opinion through and in-person consultation.

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD