Can an Incision for Tummy Tuck Be Made Below the Public Hair? Will It Affect Healing?

I am going for tummy tuck surgery on Feb 28. I am worried my surgeon is planning to put the incision too high. I have a lot of lower sagging skin right into the groin area. If he cuts right above the pubic hair once it flattens out it will be quite high I don't think it will even cover with a bathing suit bottom!

Incision Below Pubic Hair

+1

The incision is generally made about 5 to 6 cm above the vulvar commissure.  This is usually below the superior border of the pubic hair.  I usually mark the incision on the patients so that there is no confusion.  Find the plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks each year. Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Placement of Tummy Tuck Scar

+1

For almost all of my patients, I make the tummy tuck incision in the pubic hair so that it is well hidden in any clothing choice.  If you are concerned about where the scar is going to be placed, have your surgeon draw it on you pre-operatively and confirm that you are on the same page.

Sacha Obaid, MD

Tummy tuck incisions and its location

+1

Incisions for tummy tucks could be placed above, on or below the pubic hair line. If the patient has an existing scar because of previous pelvic or abdominal surgery, every effort should be made to avoid putting additional incision to perform Abdominoplasty. If excessive redundant is "hanging" in the lower abdominal wall, we usually see "sagging" of the pubic area and in these patient incisions should be placed below the hair line and the final scar will end up in the "bikini Line" and the patient will get a mini pubic and groin lift.     

Fereydoon S. Mahjouri, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck incision placement

+1

The lowest possible incision is always desirable for tummy tuck. The crease above pubic area is usually the lowest incision site possible. The nerves to the labia and clitoris come in the mons area and making the incision lower that your naturual crease could affect your sexuality.

Thomas Trevisani, Sr., MD

Tummy Tuck Incision and Wearing Bathing Suit?

+1

I think you will best off discussing your concerns with your plastic surgeon. You may wish to take a bathing suit or undergarment to the office visit to  demonstrate  the types of garments you wish to wear and where you would prefer to have the resulting scar  fall.

Depending on your body type, it may or may not be possible to keep the incision below the pubic hairline. For example, if you have a relatively short torso and/or limited lower abdominal wall skin, keeping the incision line at the pubic hair line may not allow for  excision of the “excess” abdominal wall skin ( without causing too much tension upon closure of the suture line).  For these patients, if incision line is kept low, a vertical incision line closure ( previous  umbilical opening) may become necessary.

Again, best to communicate your concerns with your plastic surgeon so that you can plan out the incision line and resulting scar together.

Can an Incision for Tummy Tuck Be Made Below the Public Hair

+1

Good question, and one best asked of your surgeon preferably before the morning of surgery. Express your concern. 

Without photos and/or an actual exam, I can't comment further on the best placement of the incision

It certainly is possible to make the incision lower than the top of the pubic hairline. Many c-section incisions are at that level.

Thanks for your question, all the best.