Considering Mommy Makeover, and Had Gastric Bypass Before. What Should I Be Concerned About? (photo)

Two questions: -what are some potential concerns when considering a MM after having had a gastric bypass 8-8-11 -I have kelioding skin any therapies to reduce the post look of skin? Is it evident that my skin will keloid on the incision site?

Mommy make over

+2

Scars are always of concern when having so much surgery. Please see aplastic surgeon to determine if you really make keloids or have a tendency to make dark scars.

Considering a Mommy Makeover

+2

When considering a mommy makeover after a large weight loss, there are a number of things to consider.  The first is your overall general health.  The weight loss may have solved a lot but not all of your medical problems.  The second is your nutritional status.  If you are actively losing weight, you likely will not have the nutritional reserves necessary to heal after the surgery.  In addition you may have health effects from your nutritional status such as anemia.  All of these can be evaluated by your doctor prior to surgery.

With regards to the keloid scarring, this is certainly a concern.  You need to speak with your surgeon about this and discuss what options there are for treating this post-operatively such as steroid injections.  Good luck.

Sacha Obaid, MD

What Should I Be Concerned About?

+2

From the photos, it looks like you would benefit from  breast lift and tummy tuck. I can't tell from the photo or the posting if you are close to your goal weight. These procedures will be safer and will have a better outcome if you are close to that weight. 

The incisions from the laparoscopy are a bit more prominent than average, but do not appear to be keloids. When keloids occur, they can be improved in most patients with treatment--injection with Kenalog, a steroid preparation, is the gold standard. I suspect that you would have a nice overall improvement even if you were to develop scars that are less than ideal.

When you ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S.

Mommy makeover and scarring

+2

If you develop keloids than it would not be a good idea to undergo a mommy makeover.  I think first you should be evaluated to see if you are a true keloid former.

Poor Scarring Predictions for Mommy Makeover

+2

I would agree that your scars from the lap bypass surgery are less than optimal.  In general, there is no one best therapy for these scars.  Steroid injections, reexcision and steroid injections, and radiation after reexcision have been tried with dozens of others.  Radiation reduces recurrence most effectively but is not practical in most situations.  Discuss all of these things with a board certified plastic surgeon who has a lot of experience providing care to patients with darker skin colors.

Mommy Makeover After Gastric Bypass

+2

Thank you for your question and photo.  

When considering surgery after gastic bypass, you need to first get to a longterm stable weight (this will give you the best results) and then decide what areas bother you the most.  In general, post-gastric bypass patients have several areas of concern and sometimes these cannot be addressed all in one surgery.  

Visit with well experienced plastic surgeons who can show you examples of their work and answer your questions.

In regards to your scarring, I am sure your surgeon will do his/her best to minimize the scarring and try to reduce the possibility of keloids.

Tips for the Gastric Bypass Patient Considering Mommy Makeover Ask Dr Ellen

+2

Hello Sandykeke

Congratulations to you and an upcoming Happy New Year as well!

Tips for you:

1.  reach your goal weight before planning surgery

2.  prioritize your areas of concern-first, second, third, forth and so forth

3.  keep in mind that it is often helpful to make the abdominal area a first priority as the abdomen/torso region is in essence the 'foundation' of your figure and will help establish the proportion for any additional or future procedures

4. discuss with your surgeon reasonable combination procedures that might be performed at one time

5.  consider staging procedures rather than trying to do everything at one time

6.  your skin has lost considerable elasticity and despite all of these "tightening' procedures,  will continue after surgery to appear weak or lax.  Perhaps one of the best things you can do to maximize your overall appearance and tone is to exercise to build muscle tone, apply good moisturizers to your skin and massage.  Endermologie can also help the appearance of the skin.

7.  it is fairly common after bypass procedures to have some nutritional deficiencies- these can be better defined by your medical doctor and supplements recommended if necessary.  Untreated deficiencies can delay wound healing and contribute to seromas after surgery.   Drains are often used for this reason.

8.  One experience with a keloid does not predict a future with all keloid scars. Have your previous scar evaluated by your surgeon to determine if it is a keloid v hypertrophic scar.  

Thanks for asking!  Dr Ellen

Ellen A. Mahony, MD
Westport Plastic Surgeon

Body contouring after weight loss

+2

Congratulations on your weight loss.  You should start learning more about body contouring procedures after gastric bypass and weight loss.   There are several issues that need to be addressed: 1) has your weight loss stabilized? 2) what is your nutritional status 3) what is your overall health status.   Please start with a visit to a board certified PS to learn more about your options.  Best wishes.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Nutritional deficiency should be taken into account

+2

Thank you for the question and the photo.  There are a handful of breast and body contouring procedures that you may want to learn more about in your journey of post-weight loss rejuvenation.  There are some factors to consider in terms of healing and one of these is nutrition as some gastric bypass individuals may be deficient in some vitamins/minerals/etc.  Keloid or hypertrophic scarring can be an issue for some ethnicitys but it should not be very high on the list unless you specifically have had keloid scars from uncomplicated elective surgery.  Seek consultation with several well trained board certified plastic surgeons in your area.  If you are in the NC area I would consider Dr. Hunstad as he has a tremendous amount of experience in post-weigtloss body contouring surgery.

Dr Remus Repta 

Remus Repta, MD

Considering Mommy Makeover, and Had Gastric Bypass Before. What Should I Be Concerned About?

+1

Your posted photo DIES not show a KELOID very well. Best to seek IN PERSON evaluations from boarded {PSS in your city. The major concern is the # of surgeries needed and the Keloid issue.