I Have a Naturally Frowny Face ... Solutions? (photo)

My natural resting face is often perceived as sad, tired, or angry, when, in fact, I am feeling none of these! It gets really annoying having people ask me what's wrong, etc. The problem is definitely my mouth. I have noticed that the skin under my bottom lip is quite droopy (see photos). I am looking to fix this anyway possible. I need the opinion of a doctor as to which procedure I should choose. I don't know if I should be inquiring about botox, sculptra, or other. Please help!

I Have a Naturally Frowny Face ... Solutions?

+1

Thank you for posting photos. Fillers and Botox, as my colleagues have suggested, might be helpful. The photos you posted do suggest that you might have a slightly weak chin which can contribute to the look that you do not like. A profile photo would be helpful to evaluate this.

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Downturned lips

+1

Down-turned lip corners is a common complaint, and gets worse with age. A small amount of botulinum toxin in the DAO muscle weakens the muscle that pulls down the corners of your mouth. Filler around the mouth corners can also help lift that area by adding volume. This will likely lift your mouth corners by a few millimeters at best. While not directly related to mouth corners, relaxing the chin muscle can help soften the appearance of the lower third of your face.

Ramona Behshad, MD
Chesterfield Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox and other treatments

+1

From the photo's you've provided, you may benefit from a dermal filler to help fill out your cheeks and some Botox for lift in other areas. It's difficult to say exactly what would be your best treatment without seeing you in person, but consulting with a reputable and experienced provider will allow you time to discuss your best options.

Sam Naficy, MD

Is Botox the solution for frowny face?

+1

There are some patients who have downturned corners of the mouth due to hyperactivity of a specific muscle called the DAO, but my guess is that this isn't the issue in your case. You may benefit from some volume in the cheeks from Sculptra or other fillers. While no one can give you specific advice online, at some point a lip lift might be considered.

Richard Baxter, MD

Droopy, frown face due to mouth position .

+1

Droopy, frown face due to mouth position . This is a very difficult problem to correct. I need to see you profile picture to see if a chin implant would help with the pre jowl  area of your face. Other procedures carry more risk than benefit and I would suggest not have any.

Lifting the cheeks and face in a Non-surgical way is the solution

+1

Dear patient, I perform fillers such as sculptra, Restylane, Juvederm and more. I also inject my patients with Botox and Dysport. You only provided frontal views of your face. Lateral and top views would have been helpful. Assuming that you have not had any other facial procedures and that you are in good health I would make the following suggestions. A few units of Botox around the mouth can modestly lift up the corners of the lip and help improve your smile. Injecting Botox around the mouth is tricky and can rarely cause a droop. The results also only last fabout 4 months. You are obviously too young for a cutting facelift. So you should cosider  non-surgical solution to tighten and lift your skin and therby lift the corners of the mouth up. Consider a very conservative liposculpture to remove the small amount of genetic fat you have in your jowl and lower cheek area (Smartlipo Triplex) followed by a non-surgical lifting of the face with Ultherapy. I often perform both at the same time. There are no scars and downtime is in the order of 3 to 5 days. I hope this was helpful. Yours. Dr. David R

A. David Rahimi, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologist