I Naturally Have Close Cleavage, Will I Get Symmastia if I Get a Boob Job? (photo)

im thinking about going 450cc HP, if i push on the skin in between my boobs, it kinda springs back at me, im just worried that if i get a boob job i will get symmastia! is this preventable at all?

Close cleavage

+4

You have cleavage that is close. I would recommend sub-muscular placement of the implants to minimize the potential for symmastia. You should be aware that with the postoperative swelling it may initially appear that you do have symmastia.

Symmastia, Synmastia

+3

Symmastia is a condition in which the breast implants touch, that is, the pockets where the implants were placed have connected. The breasts, which in your case are fairly close and create a natural cleavage, will be stretched over whatever implants are placed underneath them. As long as appropriate size and shape implants are chosen, and the surgeon is well-versed in breast augmentation, you should have no problems. Good luck and fare well.

Daniel Kaufman, MD

Breast enlargement and Close Cleavage aka Symmastia

+2

Yes. This is how to prevent Symmastia.

• Measure your chest width
  • Select an implant width less than your chest width
  • At surgery, not go beyond the sternum (breast bone)
  • Use gel implants (softer than saline.)

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Symmastia

+1

Hi!

In regards to symmastia, it is not a very common complication. For ease of mind, I would recommend discussing this in further detail with your board certified plastic surgeon in order to determine which implant and placement would minimize the potential risk the most.

Good luck!

Dr. Sam Speron

Sam Speron, MD

Breast Augmentation and Symmastia

+1

Symmastia, breast implant displacement - malpostion risks can be minimized with preoperative planning, intraoperative technique and post procedure management.  

Craig Mezrow, MS, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Symmastia risk

+1

The risk of developing symmastia is very  low.  Placing implants in a subglandular plane probably increases the risk a bit.  Good luck.

Second response to your question for symmastia in breast augmentation

+1

As long as the pockets for the implants are prepared appropriately by the plastic surgeon, then you probably won't get symmastia.

To be sure, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.  I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Symmastia

+1

Symmastia comes from trying to get the implants too close together. It has nothing to do with your current anatomy.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Symmastia prevention

+1

Certainly symmastia is preventabe.  Care taken when making the pocket for the implant should preclude this complication.

Michael Leff, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Cleavage is not a precursor to Symmamia/symastia

+1

Just because you have nice cleavage does not mean you will have symmamia.  Symmamia occurs because teh pocket is dissected too close together.  So go ahead with your surgery and hopefully you will enjoy your results for many years to come.  Good luck, Dr. Schuster in Boca Raton

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon