I Naturally Have Close Cleavage, Will I Get Symmastia if I Get a Boob Job? (photo)

im thinking about going 450cc HP, if i push on the skin in between my boobs, it kinda springs back at me, im just worried that if i get a boob job i will get symmastia! is this preventable at all?

Close cleavage

+5

You have cleavage that is close. I would recommend sub-muscular placement of the implants to minimize the potential for symmastia. You should be aware that with the postoperative swelling it may initially appear that you do have symmastia.

Symmastia, Synmastia

+3

Symmastia is a condition in which the breast implants touch, that is, the pockets where the implants were placed have connected. The breasts, which in your case are fairly close and create a natural cleavage, will be stretched over whatever implants are placed underneath them. As long as appropriate size and shape implants are chosen, and the surgeon is well-versed in breast augmentation, you should have no problems. Good luck and fare well.

Daniel Kaufman, MD

Breast enlargement and Close Cleavage aka Symmastia

+2

Yes. This is how to prevent Symmastia.

• Measure your chest width
  • Select an implant width less than your chest width
  • At surgery, not go beyond the sternum (breast bone)
  • Use gel implants (softer than saline.)

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Symmastia is not a risk just because you have a tight cleavage

+1
Symmastia is not a risk just because you have a tight cleavage.  Symmastia can happen if either the surgical dissection was carried to far medially or in some cases if women have very weak tissues and massage their implants medially vigorously.  

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Not if it is performed correctly

+1
Breast augmentation should not give you symmastia as long as the procedure is performed correctly and the right implants are selected. For this reason, you should find an experienced board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your concerns. Best of luck!

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Symmastia

+1

Hi!

In regards to symmastia, it is not a very common complication. For ease of mind, I would recommend discussing this in further detail with your board certified plastic surgeon in order to determine which implant and placement would minimize the potential risk the most.

Good luck!

Dr. Sam Speron

Sam Speron, MD

Breast Augmentation and Symmastia

+1

Symmastia, breast implant displacement - malpostion risks can be minimized with preoperative planning, intraoperative technique and post procedure management.  

Craig Mezrow, MS, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Symmastia risk

+1

The risk of developing symmastia is very  low.  Placing implants in a subglandular plane probably increases the risk a bit.  Good luck.

Second response to your question for symmastia in breast augmentation

+1

As long as the pockets for the implants are prepared appropriately by the plastic surgeon, then you probably won't get symmastia.

To be sure, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.  I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Symmastia

+1

Symmastia comes from trying to get the implants too close together. It has nothing to do with your current anatomy.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD