Are Natural Looking Saline Implants Possible for Me? (photo)

I am wanting saline implants due to the recommended MRI every couple of years that comes with silicone implants. I am 5'4" 125lbs, and currently a 34AA (or smaller) as a result of breastfeeding. I have always had small breasts, and am excited about getting bigger, natural looking breasts. Is it possible/feasible to obtain that natural "C" look (don't want softball look or boobs up to my chin)? I have made the rice testers and love the way ~400cc looks. Profile suggestions? Nipple lift? Thanks!

Vectra 3D is the best visual simulation.

+1

From 1992 til 2007 we performed thousands of saline breast augmentations with the vast majority of the patients being quite happy. I believe all available saline implants are more palpable when compared to silicone.  That being said, rarely is the lateral scalloping (what you think of as rippling) visible. When you consult with a plastic surgeon they will asses the thickness of your breast tissue as well as the width of your breast to best advise you on the results you will get with the different types of implants. I use the Vectra 3D system to give you what I consider to be the best look down the road at approximately one year. It put you in the driver's seat in decision making. See if some of the plastic surgeons in your area offer such a system.

Naples Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation

+1

Saline or silicone is often an involved choice for many patients.  When you have had a chance to consult with your doctor, review your educational information and finally decide.  I think patients can achieve satisfying results with a soft breast with both saline and silicone.  Of course, individual factors and how you personally heal will be the deciding factors on how your breast will accept the implants.  That being said, the question of a "natural" look is a bit more in the eye of the beholder.  You appear to be a trim body frame with a small amount of natural breast tissue.  Remember that the less tissue you have, the more your breast will rely on the implant for its shape.  You will be able to achieve a full and rounded breast, but you will have to decide if the augmented projected look that an implant gives will be acceptable to you as being "natural."  I hope this information is helpful.

Ronald H. Stefani Jr, MD

Implants and rice test

+1

I think a proper exam is important to best determine the right implant for you. It is a good idea to do the rice test because it gives your surgeon an idea of what you want in terms of volume.

Saline profile suggestions

+1

Thanks for your question.  From your photos you seem to have a small to medium distance between your nipples.  Saline implants would be fine for you in this instance.  I would not recommend the moderate saline implants as they all ripple on the side unacceptably.  I would only recommend HP saline implants as they ripple the least of all of the saline implants.  When placed in the submuscular position they can look quite natural.  400 cc breast implants should make you a C cup.  You also would benefit from a nipple reduction.  Basically removing only the distal part of the nipple skin while retaining the underlying nipple tissue.  This will help to take care of the sagging nipple and restoring a more youthful look to the breast.  It will make your breast look more like when you never nursed before. 

Benjamin Chu, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Saline Breast Implants

+1

Thank you for your question and photos.  The answer to your main question is yes, it is possible to have saline implants that look natural.  A "c" cup is within a reasonable range from where you are starting.  Placement of saline implants under the muscle can help hide the implants and give your breasts a more natural contour.  Since you have no breast sag or ptosis, you will not need a breast lift.  Good luck.

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Saline breast augmentation

+1

I would expect your results to be reasonably natural with saline implants.  I do feel that silicone is somewhat softer with less risk of rippling through the skin, but saline implants can be very natural looking, particularly in the submuscular position.

Jeff Scott, MD
Everett Plastic Surgeon

High Profile 400 cc Saline Implants and No Lift

+1

400 cc saline implants in high profile may well be possible, but an exam would be needed.  You do not want an implant that is too large for your chest wall.  You will not need a lift.  In addition, you may consider transumbilical saline augmentation as you will not have any scars on your breasts and a nice, natural result.  Find the plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast augmentations each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Cosmetic Surgery is an Art and a Science

+1

Thank you for the question. Your concerns about the MRI are well taken. With saline implants behind your pectoral muscle, you can have an excellent result. Your plastic surgeon is a better person to answer this once you have an exam..Dr Thomas Narsete

Thomas A. Narsete, MD
Greenwood Village Plastic Surgeon

Are Natural Looking Saline Implants Possible for Me

+1

A natural outcome is a reasonable expectation Actual size choice will depend upon measurements and other findings made at consultation. The rice test outcome will help your surgeon choose the best implant. 

I would not think anything needs be done to the nipple and areola-their positions appear to be normal.

You should discuss the pros and cons of saline and silicone with your surgeon. The silicone implants would feel more natural, and are less likely to have palpable and sometimes visible ripples. Although the FDA has advised MRI's to detect leaks, my colleagues who do breast imaging tell me that they are not seeing many such studies being done despite the huge volume of gel implants being used. 

When you are ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S. Thank you for your question, best wishes. 

Natural Looking Breasts Possible with Saline Breast Implants?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures. The short answer is yes, it is possible to achieve a very nice result  with saline or silicone breast implants in your case. Also, breast lifting will not be necessary.

Although it is not possible to provide you with specific advice, some general thoughts may be helpful to you. 

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you're looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural”  or “C cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery.

4. Educate yourself fully about the pros/cons of each type of breast implant available (saline or silicone);  this education will allow you to make sound decisions,  and hopefully prevent the need for revisionary breast surgery.

I hope this (and the attached link) help.