Does Natural Facial Asymmetry Make Rhinoplasty More Difficult?

I have a pretty asymmetrical face, the entire right side of my body is noticeably larger than the left and this especially applies with my face as my right eyebrow is higher, curvier and more feminine looking (I'm male) than the right one, eye shape is rounder, right side of face is puffier/chubbier, etc. I need surgery for my nose to correct saddled bridge cartilage and deviated septum and tip cartilage, so how would the asymmetry affect the process?

Natural Facial Asymmetry Make Rhinoplasty More Difficult?

+2

Asymmetry is THE RULE of nature, not the exception. All of us have asymmetry of our eyes, faces, ears, breasts, limbs etc. As a result, Cosmetic Surgery is intended to improve appearances but can never be counted upon to completely correct existing asymmetry. In YOUR case, a rhinoplasty would be done based on your anatomic presentation and the wishes for specific changes you present to your Plastic surgeon. The rhinoplasty will not be affected by nor affect your facial asymmetry.

Dr. Peter A Aldea

Natural Face Asymmetry and Rhinoplasty

+1

Yes, facial asymmetry can make it more difficult if not impossible to create a perfectly straight nose and symmetry to the nose especially the tip/nostril region.  An experienced rhinoplasty surgeon will be able to work with these anatomical features to achieve the desired realistic results.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Best Rhinoplasty Technique for Asymmetric Face

+1

Hi ST,

Best to discuss your concerns with your rhinoplasty surgeon.  Together you can go over the asymmetries of your face and decide the best plan to correct your nose resulting the most natural appearance.  Most of us are asymmetric, and the majority of noses are as well.  Your facial asymmetry should not affect the process of your rhinoplasty, but the procedure may involve slightly different techniques on each side.  You may also wish to discuss the use of Sculptra injections to add volume to the smaller side of your face. 

Choose your treating physician most carefully.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Encino, CA

Michael A. Persky, MD

Facial Asymmetry not a problem with Rhinoplasty

+1

Facial asymmetry exists in all faces to some extent.  During Rhinoplasty consultation I always show the patients how one side of the face is higher, or more projected and I like to point out the nostrils are attached, to the face at different levels. 

Rhinoplasty is designed to make the nose more attractive which it should be able tio do regardless of other facial asymmetries that exist on the face.

Rhinoplasty and facial asymmetry.

+1

Most people have facial asymmetry and the experienced rhinoplasty surgeon takes this into account when he does a rhinoplasty. The goal of rhinoplasty is harmony of the component parts not perfection.

Facial asymmetry

+1

We all have some asymmetry. I t is good that you recognize this before surgery because most patients do not. This leads to many complaints after surgery. The surgery is blamed for the asemmetry. Nose surgery, itself, will not affect you other issues but, should be done to maximize the results for your nose

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Facial asymmetry and rhinoplasty

+1

Facial asymmetry is quite common and can make achieving improved nasal symmetry difficult, but not unattainable.

Your saddle nose problem shouldn't be affect by this but it may come into play when addressing any external nasal deviation and tip asymmetry.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Facial asymnmetry

+1

Asymmetry is normal. There will always be some asymmetry of the face before and after surgery.  Certain things can be achieved with rhinoplasty, and certain things can not.

Facial Asymmetry

+1

Facial asymmetry is present in everyone and does affect rhinoplasty and therefore certain maneuvers will have to be taken to have the nose appear straight as one side has smaller components than the other. For instant, the nasal bone is smaller on the shorter side of the face and this will make the nose deviate to the short side.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial Asymmetry and Rhinoplasty

+1

No face is perfectly symmetric.  However, the facial skeleton is the foundation for the nose.  If your facial skeleton is significantly asymmetric, then that will most definitely effect the outcome of your rhinoplasty.  That is not to say that you shouldn't have the surgery, but your expectations will need to be different if you are expecting a straight nose after surgery.  You should still be able to get significant improvement in your nasal saddle deformity with surgery and you definitely want to see someone with experience in difficult and revsion nasal surgery as this will be a challenging rhinoplasty.  I would also recommend several opinions before you decide. 

Gregory Branham, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon