Natural Asian Rhinoplasty; Base Reduction or Nasal Tip Augmentation? (photo)

I have been looking at the variety of rhinoplasty procedures performed for asian noses. Looking at my own nose, I have always felt that my alae are quite wide, flat, and dominate the lower third of my nose. When I smile, the lack of definition in the alae and tip of my nose make it seem very wide and bulbous. What procedures would you recommend to reduce nasal width, yet still keep my ethnic appearance?

Reduction of Alar Bases and Refinement of Bulbous Tip Common Request for Asian Rhinoplasty

+1

Certainly, you should have an in-person comprehensive consultation with a facial plastic surgeon that has extensive experience in Asian Rhinoplasty and lots of Patient Before & After photos which have similar goals to your own. This will give you an idea of the surgeon's style and ability to adequately preserve your ethnic look while also providing your goals for refinement of your overall nasal contours.

That said, from what I can see in your photos, I would recommend for you a rhinoplasty that includes:

• alar base reduction (to narrow the width of your nasal base)
  • slight increase of dorsum height (will also create narrowing effect you desire)
  • tip refinement (to create the more delicate, feminine contour you also desire)

I am often reluctant to narrow the alar bases in rhinoplasty surgery. I prefer to avoid the scars associated with this portion of the procedure, if at all possible. But sometimes this is necessary to achieve the desired result, as I believe it is in your case.

In addressing the scar issue involved in narrowing your alar bases, the scars can be hidden either:

• along your natural alar crease (crease between the outer side of the nostril and the cheek), or
  • on the inner alar sil of the nasal base.

Be sure to seek an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon who clearly understands your goals.

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asian rhinoplasty with natural appearing results

+1

You provided some nice views of your nose, but another important view is the profile view.  This is the best view to evaluate the projection and height of your bridge and tip.  If you can imagine, raising the projection of your bridge and tip can make your nose appear more narrow from the front without actually narrowing the width of your nose.  By projecting and refining the tip of your nose, it may give it a sufficiently narrow appearance without performing modification to your nostrils.  

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Natural Asian Rhinoplasty

+1

Typically it is necessary to narrow the nasal base and tip. A cartilage graft is placed to support the tip and increase tip projection. It is difficult to tell if the bridge should be narrowed with the pictures you sent to us.

Asian rhinoplasty and tip

+1

Certainly the tip could be modified and the alar base narrowed. It is best to be seen in person to get a better appreciation of your concerns.

Asian rhinoplasty

+1

Reduction of the width of your nostrils is a straightforward procedure and I think you are a good candidate for the procedure. I don't think your tip is bad at all judging by the photos but if you want more definition that could also be achieved if you desire. Concentrate on selecting the right surgeon who is experienced with Asian noses and can show you the photos to prove it.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Natural Asian Rhinoplasty; Base Reduction or Nasal Tip Augmentation?

+1

All of your goals can be achieved with tip refinement, alar base reduction, and dorsum narrowing.   Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties each year.     Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.     Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Tip rhinoplasty for Asian rhinoplasty

+1

I would recommend strengthening the nasal tip cartilages as well as removing the small muscle that pulls the tip of the nose downward when smiling. I would also narrow the nostrils and possibly use internal narrowing sutures to minimize the need for an external scar. A profile view would be helpful to determine whether your nose would become overly upturned and appropriate steps would need to be taken to prevent this.

Charles S. Lee, MD, FACS

Asian Rhinoplasty

+1

I would agree with Dr Abrams that you have a well balanced and attractive nose and I would not advise surgery or any changes.

Devinder S. Mangat, MD
Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asian Rhinoplasty

+1

This is a very common request from Asian patients.  Many are looking to reduce the width of the nostrils and enhance the nasal tip to give better definition to the nose.    The nasal tip can be better defined using a variety of techniques and the width of the nostrils can be reduced to give you a slimmer appearance.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can assist you in achieving the results you seek.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Asian rhinoplasty for the bulbous tip, wide nostrils, and wide bridge.

+1

Asian rhinoplasty for the bulbous tip, wide nostrils, and wide bridge inolves slightly narrowing the base, Augmenting the tip for definition since suturing them alone will not get you the definition u need. See a very experienced rhinoplasty surgeon who does very natural Asian noses.