Natural Anatomy - Bottomed Out Breasts?

I saw board certified PS in my area regarding BA. He said my natural anatomy is that I have "bottomed out" breasts and implants would only accentuate this. There is no way for me to achieve the upper fullness and roundness that I desire. He said I have more than avg tissue in the lower 1/2 of my breast creating a greater than avg distance from the nipple to the fold no implant will give enough up top and instead will increase the bottomed out look. Is this true? 5'2 107lbs 32C 27"ribcage 12BDW

Bottomed out

Thank you for the photos.  They are helpful.   You do have greater fullness below the nipple than average.  You also have asymmetry.  It is possible to augment your breasts and provide increased fullness above.  It will require some planning to determine the best sized implant to do this.  I would suggest that you consider addressing the asymmetry as well-the Right Breast  and nipple are lower than the Left and it is unclear from the photo but the Right breast may be larger as well.  Please discuss this carefully with your surgeon so you understand what can be done to try to meet your expectations.

Short Hills Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation together with breast lift

The desired proportions are 20cm from the notch above the breast bone to each nipple, 7cm from the nipple to the crease under the breast and 10cm from the midline to each nipple. Without a ruler in the photo or a face to face examination these measurements cannot be discerned from just your posted photos. However it is clear that the nipple to crease distance is more than 7cm which can create a bottomed out look. It is not clear how much over 7cm it is though because raising your arms in the photos distorts this area of measurement. The way to treat this vertical excess is to remove a horizontal ellipse of skin just above the crease. You can simulate this by pinching the skin in this area to get an idea of the effect. You could do that (breast lift) with or without placing breast implants. If you just have breast implants placed there is a significant chance they will make this current condition worse especially if you have large implants placed.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Smaller Implant and Careful Pocket Dissection

Your pictures suggest that the majority of your breast tissue lies below the level of your nipple areola complex.This represents a significant problem and makes breast augmentation an extremely challenging procedure.Under these circumstances, a breast implant might actually cause the breast to bottom out and actually worsen the problem.
Despite this, there is the potential for breast implants to significantly improve your breast aesthetics.For this to happen, the surgeon must perform a meticulous breast pocket dissection with particular attention to the infra-mammary fold area.In addition, it’s important that the surgeon not use an excessively large implant.
By taking these steps, breast augmentation can still yield excellent results with the creation of upper breast fullness.Under these circumstances, patient satisfaction rates are extremely high.

Potential to have great results

It is possible to improve your breast contour without a "bottoming out" look. It all depends on the implant and surgical technique, both of which can be determined by seeing an experienced board certified plastic surgeon. Best of luck. You'll have great results!

Breast Augmentation

It is possible to increase the 'pseudoptosis' look you have if you insert too large of an implant.  I would recommend a conservatively sized implant OR fat grafting instead of an implant.  Fat grafting may be a good option for you.  Be sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

I dont think you have bottoming out. You have a very normal appearing breast anatomy. Breast implants that correspond to your breast width will give you the most natural look after surgery. They will fill the upper part of your chest where you are looking for more fullness.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Breast implants to create upper pole fullness

Breast implants are ideal in creating upper pole fullness in most patients.  Based on your photos, you are also a good candidate.  However, careful size selection and implant placement is necessary in order to achieve optimum results and minimizing complications such as bottoming out of the implant.  I recommend seeking the opinion of another board certified plastic surgeon experienced in breast augmentation.

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Trust the Professionals

I tend to agree with your surgeons opinion.
Fairly large implants placed slightly above the natural fold may give you the fullness you desire but if the implants are to large your bottoming out can get worse.

Ivan Thomas, MD (retired)

Bottoming out after Breast Augmentation

it looks like you are in excellent shape. I cannot tell how low the nipples are. You could be a candidate for transaxillary breast augmentation and inframammary skin/tissue resection. Get a second opinion but from the pictures I think a small breast implant would do well. Bottoming out is exacerbated with large, heavier implants.

Leo Lapuerta Jr. MD

Triple Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Leo Lapuerta, MD

Bottomed out breasts

LuliFamo ,

There is no question that you will get closer to your desired breast image by using an implant. Depending on the size volume you want when you are done, the exact procedure can be modified to get the result you want. You need to get a second opinion from a board certified plastic surgeon. Enjoy. Jon Sattler, MD,  Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, Glendora , CA.

Jon Sattler, MD
Glendora Plastic Surgeon