Nasolabial Folds/Marionettes. What Are My Options Other Than Fillers?

I am a female in my early 20s. I take care of myself. Despite this, I recently got nasolabial folds and marionette lines. They are very shallow, I don't like them and their sudden appearance. I saw a consultant and he told me fillers aren't an option for me due to potential lumpiness. I'm upset because I know fillers are the best option. Are fillers my only option? Is there nothing else to do for me? I would take even a small reduction.

Treating early wrinkles

+2

It sounds like you are starting to see lines or wrinkles for the first time. For fine lines with little depression or hollowing of the skin, fillers may or may not be the appropriate treatment. Fillers are used when lines and hollows appear due to loss of volume and skin sagging. It may be best to start with a small amount of filler spread lightly within the area, and to begin a good skin care regimen with retinol and growth factor creams, in addition to sun protection. You may consider having some filler placed in your mid-face/cheek area if it is beginning to flatten out with time or if you have lost weight, as this can help with both the nasolabial and marionette folds.

Keep in mind that you don't want the nasolabial area to be completely flat. A 2-dimensional look isn't natural, you do want to maintain some of the contour, so be careful to to "chase" these lines too much.

Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

Early NLF and ML

+1

A good injector should be able to fill these areas with minimal to no lumpiness. At your age, collagen is just starting to lose volume and a good skin care regimen that helps correct the collagen loss would be beneficial. I personally use SkinMedica TNS Essential Serum and have noticed a significant difference in my own skin.

Brian J. Lee, MD
Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Early Wrinkles

+1

In addition to fillers, you may be a candidate for a good medical grade skin care program such as obagi and/or light laser/ipl.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS